You have to be stupid to buy a new Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > You have to be stupid to buy a new Jeep

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Wandering Bob

You have to be stupid to buy a new Jeep

We bought a new '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.7L and 5speed auto. Its been in the shop now for 35 days and the dealer finally admitted he can't fix it. The transmission tries to lock the torque converter at the wrong time, stalls, illuimnates the "Service Engine Soon" light, and then goes into "limp" mode. They've replaced the shift solenoid, engine to transmission wiring harness, and the PCM. I've been on hold with DC Customer Relations for almost an hour now and still no one answers the phone. I was looking forward to becoming a Jeep driver but now I am convinced that I'll never own one again. A real piece of junk.

Wandering Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
ChitownRay

interesting.....thats why i hesistated to trade in my jeep for the '05, because many problems can stir up. But instead i'll keep my WJ, it runs great...along with my mom's WJ and my sisters XJ.....
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Sound like first year model or Lemon blues. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience and hope that DC and the dealer see fit to make it right.

I'm on my third Jeep grand and have had no more or less problems than the Murcury capri, buick special, Datsun PU, Mazda RX2, Honda 600 (car), or Honda civic... that I have had in the past.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Ruffy

Shoulduve gotten a 4.0 ZJ :P
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Jayrod586

ZJ all the way. My parents were at the dealership picking up a part for my Jeep and the guy who is like a manager there said those I6 4.0's they put in the ZJs are about the best engines. "Bulletproof" he described it.
Jayrod586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod586
ZJ all the way. My parents were at the dealership picking up a part for my Jeep and the guy who is like a manager there said those I6 4.0's they put in the ZJs are about the best engines. "Bulletproof" he described it.
Not really, But with regular basic upkeep you can get alot of use out of it. And now its been discontinued for the V6 4.0. Nothing last for ever. But the I6 is a damn good engine
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
justjeepin

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the same thing happen when the WJ was first introduced? Is this a dajavue thing?!

I still want an '05 cuz it looks so damn cool.

All stock stuff but soon to be upgraded.
justjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
2Grand4s

Don't be a 1 st Year " Guinea Pig"

I factory ordered my 04 Overland because I did not want a number of things that the 05 was going to have. First the 'Soccer Mom' suspension system, 04 gets a solid front axle, as in Off-Road ! The High 'Belt Line and dramatically smaller windows = Less Visibility than my 04 ! Then, as you have already discovered, there are the bugs, flaws, recalls and lack of mechanics used to repairing a new model, like the 05 ! My tried, true and refined model has plenty of factory service bulletins in its history so that I need not deal with them. PLUS I paid (actual cash price) 32, 000 + sales tax for my Top-Of-The-Line Overland with every option available except the adj. pedals (for short people), and an engine block heater. The NEW model came with no such price incentives.

My 3rd New Jeep, loved them all ! '87 AMC Cherokee Laredo, '94 Chrysler Grand Limited with Up-Country Suspension and V-8 ( currently at 204,000 miles), and the new 04 Daimler Overland out in the garage !

Sorry you got a Lemon, new models tend to do that !

Could be worse. It coulda been an Alabama-Benz AWD minivan, and they cost even more !
2Grand4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Bob
We bought a new '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.7L and 5speed auto. Its been in the shop now for 35 days and the dealer finally admitted he can't fix it. The transmission tries to lock the torque converter at the wrong time, stalls, illuimnates the "Service Engine Soon" light, and then goes into "limp" mode. They've replaced the shift solenoid, engine to transmission wiring harness, and the PCM. I've been on hold with DC Customer Relations for almost an hour now and still no one answers the phone. I was looking forward to becoming a Jeep driver but now I am convinced that I'll never own one again. A real piece of junk.
I feel your pain. I once bought a brand new Ford Mustang that spent more time in the shop than it did in my garage. When the main bearings started knocking (it was two years old at that point), I traded it in for a Nissan truck. One bad vehicle can sour a person on the entire line. Sorry you are having such a hard time. Hopefully it'll be fixed and you can start enjoying a vehicle that has been very highly rated.

Unread 02-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
97grand

Ditto that.

A buddy of mine at work bought an 03 Maxima in early 04 and it spent close to 45 days, if not more in the dealer because the main computer went bad and the part was on backorder.

They finally fixed it and he pissed and moaned about it hard enough that he had two monthly payments in a car he didn't have possession of and they credited him back 2 payments.

Fight the good fight Bob, because it's not just a Jeep thing. This happens in all major car brands.

[COLOR=darkgreen]'91 Taurus SHO+ - Deep Jewel Green [/COLOR]

[COLOR=red] '05 Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red[/COLOR]

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer[/I]
97grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
ojingalena

Sorry about your experience Bob.

Look into your states Lemon Law. If applicable, get a refund. Then buy a 2004 WJ.

I bought a new ZJ in 1995, and a WJ in 2000. Still have them both. I will buy another one when the time is right.

First year production can be a crap shoot.

Mine: 95 ZJ 5.2 Quadratrac Char Gold Laredo, Tow Package, K&N FIPK, Kolak Mopar ECU, CatSound, AT50 Muffler, 2" TeraFlex BB, Bilstein 5100's, 265/70-15 110S Dueler AT Revo's. It's a start..more to come
Wifes: 99 WJ 4.0 Laredo pretty much stock....for now.
Mine: 06 KJ Renegade
ojingalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

This is one more reason to support my theory that you are best off buying a two-year-old vehicle.

You can usually get one for near half of the original sticker two years out. You can also let the recalls and lemon data stack up. If it appears too daunting, then you can decide not to buy.

Especially on a new model, there are all sorts of new opportunities for design flaws to come out.

If the 2005 does turn out to be problem prone, then I may wait until 2008 to buy a 2006. I think that I can get a few more years out of my ZJ. After two or three years, I will be very anxious to get myself into a WK for about eight more years of Jeep fun ('08 to '16).

Kent
Unread 02-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Ive heard this so many times before. How can anyone expect anything to be perfect?

Basing the idea that someone will never own a particular brand car on a single purchase because they expect it to be without any problems.

Ive owned chevy, nissan, gmc, pontiac, saturn, geo and now a jeep. All have problems and none are perfect.

You can go out and buy a new chevy or ford and end up with the same problems. Then are you going to say, ill never own a ford or chevy again..

I understand venting.. but just seen it too many times before, people need to get a clue and understand its not a perfect world. Things break and nothing is perfect.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Lurch77

Rule number 1: Never buy a brand new vehicle. Worst investment a person can make. Buy a low mileage used. You get the remainder of the warranty, and you let the first owner take the brunt of the depreciation.

Rule number 2: Never buy first year production vehicles. This thread explains why.
Unread 02-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
BostonBull
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
Not really, But with regular basic upkeep you can get alot of use out of it. And now its been discontinued for the V6 4.0. Nothing last for ever. But the I6 is a damn good engine

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt it a 3.7?

[SIZE=3][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=red][B] 81[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
BostonBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.