you guessed it ... yet another 42RE question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you guessed it ... yet another 42RE question

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
BenJammin
1994 ZJ 

you guessed it ... yet another 42RE question

first let me say... i have searched until my eyes bled and still no definitive answers...

anyway...

94 zj, 42re, 231 case... all the gears engage and drive fine... but heres my issue

when in the drive position the trans works perfectly normal and everything shifts fine... but when im offroad i usually keep it locked down in 1st or 2nd... so tonight after i got off the trail i putted out to the road in 2nd gear due to the rough dirt road, i threw it into the normal drive gate and proceeded to head to get some grub, that when i noticed, 1st to 2nd was fine, then i hung second until redline and never shifted... let off, still no shift... snapped the throttle, again nothing... well damn... pulled over, shut it down, checked my TV adjustment and it is perfect, fire it up drop it in drive... back to normal... 1,2,3,OD lockup, downshift fine, came to a light, pulled off again, still fine... so i get to a large lot and manually shift it into first and second... stopped, knocked it into d and tried from a dead stop... 1 to 2 was fine then it hung in 2nd again... the only way to get it to shift again is to shut it down and restart it... theres no slipping or anything... fluids full, i have an aftermarket cooler, all my cables are adjusted properly... and it was working fine (both in D and manually shifting it at 8am this morning) so im totally lost

anyone have any ideas? im wondering is my TPS went bad... and the restart is resetting the PCM/TCM... no trans codes or Check engine code... i have a DRBII and i have monitored the entire thing, and nothing is coming up

thanks
Jammin

BenJammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
98ZJOKC

Could you have hit something that might have damaged the output sensor or its wiring on the bottom of the transmission? I only know of 2 major electrical parts that help the TCU determine when to shift. The TPS and the output sensor.
98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Could be the output sensor or the connected wires leading to it.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
BenJammin
1994 ZJ 

its possible, but i checked it all out today and eveything seemed ok... i guess ill grab a spare one and try it... and i replace the TPS and pigtaile today... still no change... and its really gettin to me... this trans is 8 months old, and the 4th one in the jeep since i bought it in 2011
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
um7267
1998 ZJ 

sounds like it loves to eat transmissions. if you have the records and they only replaced the trans and just left the original tcp/ecu id start there with junk yard stuff or swap a friends in just to see if it still does it.
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
erob914
1995 ZJ 

You may have a sticking valve or broken spring in the valve body.
When in manual 1 or 2 your line pressure is higher and may cause a valve to stick or not return due to a broken spring or maybe even a burr on a spool valve. Its been a long time since I have been in one of those transmissions so I cant tell you exactly where to look in the valve body. Since it shifts fine when not putting it in manual range and then has the problem when putting it in manual range I would suspect something affected by the higher pressure. Off hand that is the only thing I can think of that is different in manual range. I didnt see any codes listed so I am assuming there is no check engine lamp furthering my suspicion that the problem is mechanical in nature.
erob914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
BenJammin
1994 ZJ 

its a 94 and i dont have any check engine light... and i used my DRBII to scan both engine and tranny codes... and nothing comes up... i might just drive it until it stops moving and 5 speed swap it
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
erob914
1995 ZJ 

Can a DRBII read the datastream? If it can you can watch the solonoids work when they shift. It may help pinpoint what the problem is. There is a chart to be had that shows which solonoid is on or off depending on the gear you are in.

I have used a DRBIII but never a DRBII so I dont know what it is capable of.
erob914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
KBUCK
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had mud stuck around the kickdown link on the trans that caused mine to stick. Car wash under the Jeep cured all.
KBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
BenJammin
1994 ZJ 

no mud, but i hooked up my snap-on scanner and finally pulled some codes...

26 Governor pressure sensor offset drift, no idea what this really means

11 - No Crank Reference Signal At PCM (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

but the jeep runs without an issue...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.