YOU DECIDE I WILL FOLLOW Please help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > YOU DECIDE I WILL FOLLOW Please help!!!

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
xxmarcoxx

YOU DECIDE I WILL FOLLOW Please help!!!

Hi fellows.. Very quick story, in a matter of 3 months, i found out im going to be a dad im getting married in 20 days, and all of the sudden.....

MY TRANSMISSION GOES BAD!!!

So here is the story, transmission is been acting "goofy" for a while everything started on the winter.. i though it was because of the cold and let it be...

About 3 weeks ago Engine lights came on, and my car wouldnt "shift" i have a 2004 Grand jeep cherokee 75k Miles, it will get stock rpm will go high and then finally shift, i look at the engine and there is a "cable" that has a little plastic?? and the plastic is broke, im guessing thats some type of shifting cable??
I took it to a couple places and read ALOT but i need your help to make the best decision!! All this Mechanis i feel they dont want to help me but take my money!!

the coded is got for engine light are P1757 P1762 I know they are both governor sensors, but My question is this, so far the places i took it they said that they found metal on the trans, Which means i need a new one or Rebuild one, some places have quoted me as much as 2k for rebuild while i have found manufactured trans for 1500.. anyhow If someone can please HELP me.

I need to make a decision, do i change the governors and solenoids, give it a flush and PRAY that nothing will happen, this will cost me about 500.00 but the mechanic said he doesnt know before metal gets in the new governors solenoids, or do i just go and pay to get it rebuild, im reading alot and people say they just change that, but if im going to spend 500.. and 6 months later 2500 total of 3k shouldnt i just spend the 2500 right now and call it a day??

Also other people say even when rebuild car can go wrong.. all this thigns are happening and now the car started driving even worst, when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it moves really funny.. please give me some advice in what u guys will do if u have or had this problem THANKS!

xxmarcoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
ap1284
1998 ZJ 

new tranny, i personally never trusted a rebuilt....
ap1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
GraKee99
Rapist Wit
1999 WJ 

I was driving down the freeway once and my trans started to act weird. Wouldn't shift, wouldn't engage sometimes, the works. Never got a check engine light or anything. I got the codes off though and took it in. I don't remember the codes or what was replaced but I know it was sensor that went bad. Caused my transmission to act like it was going out. Replaced the sensor, that was at about 100K, I am now at 173K with the original trans.

Don't know if that helps you on your situation but that is what happened to mine. Hope it helps.

WJ, WK, CJ5

[CENTER][URL="http://staythetrail.org/"][COLOR="Navy"]Stay the Trail[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #188[/COLOR][/CENTER]
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
xxmarcoxx

thanks guys, keep them coming.. 1-1 so far.. back to point 1 haha.. so lost on this!!
xxmarcoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Stop driving it, by driving it with these problems you are potentially causing a whole bunch of other problems. I would go with a new tranny, also what do you mean that no mechanic will help you? have you taken it to a tranny shop?
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Right now my tranny is in what you call a "limp mode". My transmission is acting funny, like only shifting into 2 and 3. It could very well be the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. If you can look for the codes meaning.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Jasper rebuilt
Ive got a buddy with the 42re in it has well over 130k miles on it

http://webapp.jasperengines.com/netcust/catalog.asp
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
PTCHBLKZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

that little plastic piece that broke was ur detent cable or better known as the kick down cable if its broke or disconnected the the trans doesnt no when to shift and no what pressure to use who ever owned my jeep before found out the hard way all in all that it needs to be replaced or when u get ur tranny in ur back to square 1 man
PTCHBLKZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
Toliver09
1997 ZJ 

get the kick down cable repaired and have the tranny THOROUGHLY flushed and a new filter installed. DO NOT continue driving with metal shavings flowing through the trans, it will destroy the trans.
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
PTCHBLKZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think his tranny done kick the bucket man flushing it would just be a waste of money but def buy a new kick down cable cause thats what started everything
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Kickdown cable is maybe 50 bucks. Start with that, drive briefly to see if solved. Disconnect battery cable for 3 minutes to clear all stored codes before test drive.

Do NOT assume trans is bad until kickdown cable replaced and properly adjusted.

Some trans shops are nothing short of criminal... surprised?

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Toliver09
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRm318 View Post
I think his tranny done kick the bucket man flushing it would just be a waste of money but def buy a new kick down cable cause thats what started everything
the tranny itself is acting up because of the kickdown cable. rather than spending all the money on the new tranny, see if fixing the kickdown cable then flushing the tranny will do the trick. He'd have more money for the honeymoon if that would fix it
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #13
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

So, when it started acting up, did you get the fluid and filters changed?

Do you have a V8? I have a used V8 trans for sale.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
PTCHBLKZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well point taking... but it sounds exactly what mine was doing i wrecked one jeep bad and then found one with a bad tranny for 500 bucks and swapped my tranny the drove i noticed it shifted funny and was slow as balls wouldnt kick down or nothing so i look under the hood and noticed the plastic piece that connects to the throttle body was broke off replaced it and it became a beast lol
Unread 08-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

definitely the kick down cable causing the problems. get it replaced and adjusted correctly. continuing to drive the vehicle WILL result in a new transmission.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.