Yikes! Cooling system leak! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Yikes! Cooling system leak!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-15-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
Rhyno

Yikes! Cooling system leak!

Okay, I'm not too great at mechanical trouble shooting... ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a leak in my cooling system on my 2000 WJ, 4.0L. I've poked and prodded all over the place and can't seem to find out what's going on! I add coolant... and it disapears!

Are there any common cooling problems (or general problems for that matter) that arrise on the WJ with mileage at about 50k? ...again, any tips would be great... or do I take this little monster in to the doctor?

Thanks in advance... "peace out"!

-Rhyno

Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
chuma_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno
Okay, I'm not too great at mechanical trouble shooting... ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a leak in my cooling system on my 2000 WJ, 4.0L. I've poked and prodded all over the place and can't seem to find out what's going on! I add coolant... and it disapears!

Are there any common cooling problems (or general problems for that matter) that arrise on the WJ with mileage at about 50k? ...again, any tips would be great... or do I take this little monster in to the doctor?

Thanks in advance... "peace out"!

-Rhyno
I have a 2000 4.0 aswell. I would get the coolant issue fixed by the pros even though it is probably just a cracked hose. Other problems I have experienced are:
"Death wobble" - front end shakes uncontrollably after hitting a bump at speed. Still haven't fixed but believe to be track bar.
Warped discs (called rotors in USA). Jeep dealer now has access to different rotors which are less prone to warping. Don't just get them machined unless you want to do it every 5k miles.

Apart from these had no other complaints. Uses a fair bit of fuel but if you drive smoothly it is not too bad. Synthetic oil can also increase MPG.

Cheers
Chuma
chuma_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
Rhyno

Hey, thanks for the info, Chuma!

Update: I'm headed up to Lake Tahoe this coming weekend and don't have time to take my little beast in to get the cooling system checked. A buddy of mine at work told me I could use a product called "Bars" to hold me over until I can take it in... can anyone give me any feedback on this product? I hear it's a powder that runs through the cooling system and "fills" in any holes/cracks temporarily. I don't want to be using anything that may make things worse while I go tear it up in the Sierra Nevadas!

Thanks again for any advise you guys (or gals) might be able to provide!!!

-Rhyno
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
chuma_1

Whatever you do forget the powder. I stupidly used a hole sealing product simpilar to this a few years ago and needed a new radiator shortly after. Spend some cash and get it properly fixed or you will pay long term. Who knows what this hole sealer does to the rest of your cooling system.
Too risky on a 3yr old GC in my opinion.

Cheers
Chuma.
chuma_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
LakesideJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno
Hey, thanks for the info, Chuma!

Update: I'm headed up to Lake Tahoe this coming weekend and don't have time to take my little beast in to get the cooling system checked. A buddy of mine at work told me I could use a product called "Bars" to hold me over until I can take it in... can anyone give me any feedback on this product? I hear it's a powder that runs through the cooling system and "fills" in any holes/cracks temporarily. I don't want to be using anything that may make things worse while I go tear it up in the Sierra Nevadas!

Thanks again for any advise you guys (or gals) might be able to provide!!!

-Rhyno
It's called "barsleak", and I know for sure it comes as a pellet/liquid, basically looks like molases in the jar filled with pellets (I think there is also something called Alumaseal that is basically powdered aluminum/mixture ) that disolve once they hit a certain temperature (like normal driving temps or slightly less). While it will seal pinhole types of leaks, it can play havoc on the rest of your cooling system, like clogging up a radiator if the radiator is already restricted in some form (like most old radiators are), so I'd skip the barsleak and have the system pressure tested to find exactly where the leak is coming from to avoid problems down the line.

I did keep a jar of barsleak (and a gallon of coolant) in my last jeep (and it did come in handy when my waterpump sprung a leak in a faulty casting - but only slowed it down enough to drive the last 20 miles to the dealership to get it repaired ) since if you do get a hole and detect it quick enough, you can put this stuff in, and it may slow down a slow leak enough to get to a repair facility where the whole system should be properly flushed, fixed and refilled.
LakesideJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.