Yet another CKP Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Yet another CKP Thread

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
grw800

Yet another CKP Thread

I'm working on a customer's 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0. No spark. The Jeep has sat for two weeks, and it didn't take long for the packrats to move in. There was a big rat nest right on top of the engine. So I figured it was a chewed wire, but which one? I looked for a long time and saw some chewed wires, but nothing that was cut all the way through. After returning home I looked online here and elsewhere and read dozens of threads about the crankshaft position sensor, and figured that was likely the problem. I went back to take another look (unfortunately I'm working at the customer's house, not in my shop) and check out the CKP. I work on lots of cars and trucks and must say that this is about the damnedest thing I've ever seen. It's like the engineers purposely put the sensor in the most inaccessible place they could come up with! Anyway, I was feeling around up in there to find the pigtail wire, and finally found it--all 1/4 inch of it. The rats had chewed it off right at the sensor. I still haven't found the rest of the pigtail and connectors. So this is my question: Where should the other end of the pigtail be? In other words, where is the corresponding connector in the main harness where the CKP plugs in? For all I know the rats could have made off with the whole thing. Next trip I'll take all my trick mirrors, wobble extensions, air ratchets, etc. and will be better prepared. It would just be nice to know what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Last edited by grw800; 09-27-2009 at 03:35 PM..
grw800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

From what I recall, the plastic connector is way towards the back of the block, on the passenger side.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
grw800

Thanks, gatorayde. Should the pigtail & connectors be readily visible from the top? Anyone have a pic?
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
grw800

Just thought I would post up my experience with this PITA job. The bolt that holds the CKP is an 11m hex head. You'll want a minimum of 24" of 1/4" extensions with at least one being a wobble extension. Even nicer is a 1/4" air ratchet. There's just about zero room up in there to swing a ratchet. I ended up unbolting the crossmember and lowering the transmission/engine about 2-3 inches. This made it WAY easier and isn't near as bad as it sounds. A floor jack and two jack stands is all you need, then just remove eight easy bolts and lower the crossmember a little.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.