Y'all's opinions on a jeep I'm looking at - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Y'all's opinions on a jeep I'm looking at

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
99TXxj
2002 WJ 

Y'all's opinions on a jeep I'm looking at

I'm thinking of buying a jeep but wanted to get some more opinions whether it's a good deal or not he's asking $1500. Here's the ad

I am posting this for my son-in-law and daughter. Please read the ad carefully.

They are selling this Jeep that my son-in-law drove on a daily basis. There is a front end problem that my mechanic says will cost between $80 up to $300 to fix. Due to a very serious personal family matter we are selling the Jeep as is, and at a very reasonable price. It is a very good Jeep with a strong engine and transmission and a clear title which we have in hand.

My son-in-law is a good mechanic. I asked him to write some info on the Jeep - see below....

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L
Automatic transmission
Mileage 188000
Pros:360ci magnum V8 Custom exhaust with new catalytic converter
aftermarket performance eibach springs all the way around performance shocks leather interior cd and cassette player infinity sound system sunroof new front wheel bearings new driver side CV axle new upper differental bushings new water pump all time all wheel drive.

Cons: unidentified front end issue headliner falling needs new rear wheel bearings and rear hatch doesn't open needs new door speakers.

The Jeep engine and transmission are very solid. It's a 98 with 188K so it's not perfect, obviously. We are local and will sell local only, cash only.

If the ad is still up, the Jeep is still available.

Thanks for the interest.

I called him and he says the jeep will pull to the left and then jerk back to the right he also says its making a clunking sound as it's being driven that he believes is not in the drivetrain. He says he replaced both wheel bearings and then took it to a mechanic who said the bushings were out in the control arms but that still didn't fix the problem. I would just go check it out but it's a 4 hour drive and I want to make sure it's a good deal before I drive 4 hours. Let me know what you think.

99TXxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

It is a good deal if it has not been crashed and repaired poorly, and if you like it. Based on what your post says, if it were me, I would go look at it for sure.

The repairs are no big deal. They all do that. (or something else...)
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

I saw that ad yesterday. My first thought on the front end issues was Death Wobble, since the listing party didn't seem to know much about the vehicle. If I had the money, it would buy it just to turn it, but that is just me.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

"My son-in-law is a good mechanic" is a questionable statement.

However, it seems not too troublesome a fix. Take the WJ for a ride with a buddy/sweetheart/mortal enemy and have them follow you as you test drive. Do all the normal ZJ test drive stuff and take a real good look at it. If you are serious about getting into a niner, take the opportunity and go look.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
99TXxj
2002 WJ 

I'm thinking it's a good deal. It would end up costing me about $1750 with fuel and renting a trailer but I still don't think it's a bad deal. Then maybe $250 to fix the steering so the way I look at it is if be getting a niner for 2k
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Haha you think you will be getting it for 2k but there will be many more things to refurbish/replace. I bet a bad VC, all control arm bushings, motor mounts, trans mount, shocks, ect. They start to pile up. It's still not a bad deal at all though if it runs and shifts well. First thing I would do wold be to add a big transmission cooler to it.

Mine was in great shape with no rust and had ten years of records. I still replaced

Tune up
harmonic balancer
plenum pan and gasket
tie rod ends
radiator blew later
motor mounts
trans mount
shocks
SS
rear carrier bearings
rear outer wheel bearings
rebuilt track lok
all control arm bushings
sway bar bushings
steering gear
viscous coupler in transfer case
valve cover gaskets(still needs oil pan gasket)
Fuel pressure regulator
Brakes
trans governor pressure sensor/ solenoid
Alternator went out later

Those were just old worn out original parts that needed replacing. Realistically that's what you will be looking at if none of those things have been addressed with a ZJ this age. Mine had 127k on it when I bought it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
99TXxj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Haha you think you will be getting it for 2k but there will be many more things to refurbish/replace. I bet a bad VC, all control arm bushings, motor mounts, trans mount, shocks, ect. They start to pile up. It's still not a bad deal at all though if it runs and shifts well. First thing I would do wold be to add a big transmission cooler to it.

Mine was in great shape with no rust and had ten years of records. I still replaced

Tune up
harmonic balancer
plenum pan and gasket
tie rod ends
radiator blew later
motor mounts
trans mount
shocks
SS
rear carrier bearings
rear outer wheel bearings
rebuilt track lok
all control arm bushings
sway bar bushings
steering gear
viscous coupler in transfer case
valve cover gaskets(still needs oil pan gasket)
Fuel pressure regulator
Brakes
trans governor pressure sensor/ solenoid
Alternator went out later

Those were just old worn out original parts that needed replacing. Realistically that's what you will be looking at if none of those things have been addressed with a ZJ this age. Mine had 127k on it when I bought it.
Oh well I expect there to be a bunch of little things. there always is in a jeep that's 16 years old. I mean to get it drive able

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.