XJ versus ZJ? Grand avoidance... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > XJ versus ZJ? Grand avoidance...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
bluecool

XJ versus ZJ? Grand avoidance...

So I've been looking for the perfect priced 97/98 Cherokee Sport, but it is hard to find in the Boston area. What I am finding TONS of are GRAND Cherokee's in the same price range. How is possible that the ZJ is priced almost the same, if not lower than a clean, XJ Sport wtih lower miles? Why are there so many Grand Cherokees out there on the market? I hear they have a lot issues, especially with the electrical toys. I'm not looking for luxury, or fancy. I'm looking for Jeep reliability. Can anyone tell me why I should buy a ZJ over and XJ?

Please advise...I'm trying to make my purchase this week.
Are the XJs more reliable?

Thanks

bluecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Here in Australia you can get a 99/00 XJ for about the same price as a low mileage 96/97 ZJ, you never mentioned which year ZJs you were comparing to the XJ.

It seems to me that you have already convinced yourself that ZJs are no good....

but, I have had mine for over a year now and have had no problems with the 'electrical toys'. I love the luxury, the Jeep reliability and the fact that I don't smack my head on the roof constantly (does anyone else think cherokees have a very low roof). I also enjoy surprising the hilux owners who think the Grand Cherokee is too soft for offroading.

All in all I am glad that I discovered the Grand Cherokee before I had purchased an XJ cherokee.
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Nah.. Grands are weak and cant wheel with them at all..
Here is my Grocery getter...

Are you looking at I 6 grands or V8?? I have had mine a long time and It has been under water more times than I care to count. And my "electrical toys" all still work..
What you may be refering to is the short in the heated seats which is very common in Limiteds.. But its nothing major and can be easily fixed.. I dont blame you for wanting an XJ but the ZJ is much more comfortable on and off road.. I am not one for luxury either but it is undeniably much better to ride in ZJ seats ..

Oh by the way.. The XJ roof isnt lower the seats are higher .. And I bump my head every time I get in my buddies XJ..

Last edited by Swamp Boy; 06-07-2004 at 11:56 PM..
Swamp Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
AZFlyingDiver

I've had my 96 ZJ I6 4.0 since 94 and run it to 142000+ miles with no major problems. Personally, I love it.
AZFlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
isezumi00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecool
Are the XJs more reliable?

Thanks
They can be...depends on what parts are in the ZJ. The old 242/AW-4 combo is a tough one to beat...which isnt a staple of the ZJ line like it is the XJ line. For the most part its a question of how well maintained it is. An ill maintained XJ is no better off than an equally mistreated ZJ.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Ive had a 95 ZJ ltd V8 and a 97 ZJ ldt I6, both are great , no problems with electrics. Before the ZJ's i had a SJ Grand Wagoneer. What a great three tons of American Steel it was!!! I agree with Swamp Boy, the headroom in the XJ was so bad I vowed never to own one.
Doug
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
bluecool

more open minded...

Thanks for the replies. I'm def. more open minded. Ride comfort (especially for passengers) is important to me. I'm looking at 97 and 98 ZJs - with all the toys I want (sunroof, CD, ect.). I have a dealer who wants to give me his 98 limited with 75K miles, limited, for about $7,500, and I think I trust this guy. I think that some of the ZJs look like family cars, and I am not loooking for that. I like the 'old jeep' tough look of the XJs...but, it seems like I am getting more for my money with an ZJ. .......I'm trading my 99 Ranger....On the table now is a 97XJ with 65K (with $2,500 back in cash) or a 98 ZJ limited with 75K (with $1,200 back in cash). The Cherokee is a little scratched and stuff on outside, but it looks darn tough. Both give me some cash back (which I DON'T want to spend on repairs) What do you think? The older XJ or the newer (older) ZJ?

Thanks - talking helps... :-)

Mike
bluecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecool
Thanks for the replies. I'm def. more open minded. Ride comfort (especially for passengers) is important to me. I'm looking at 97 and 98 ZJs - with all the toys I want (sunroof, CD, ect.). I have a dealer who wants to give me his 98 limited with 75K miles, limited, for about $7,500, and I think I trust this guy. I think that some of the ZJs look like family cars, and I am not loooking for that. I like the 'old jeep' tough look of the XJs...but, it seems like I am getting more for my money with an ZJ. .......I'm trading my 99 Ranger....On the table now is a 97XJ with 65K (with $2,500 back in cash) or a 98 ZJ limited with 75K (with $1,200 back in cash). The Cherokee is a little scratched and stuff on outside, but it looks darn tough. Both give me some cash back (which I DON'T want to spend on repairs) What do you think? The older XJ or the newer (older) ZJ?

Thanks - talking helps... :-)

Mike
Mike,
You are going to have to make this decision and be responsable for the outcome. Take the one you like to a reputable mechanic and have it checked out (even if you are expert, you have an interest, which could bend your opinion) , you want to make an informed decision. You can use the mechanics opinions to negotiate for a better price, walk away, or accept the deal. But you have to decide. Me, I would take the 98 ZJ ltd ( I bought my 97 ZJ ltd on ebay and had to go to Chicago to pick it up).
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.