Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

XJ guy ZJ question

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Candymancan 
#1 ·
Hey all. I am a frequent user on the XJ side of the forum but I am asking a question in regards to my dad's ZJ. It has the factory alarm system. How difficult is it to disable the alarm system?

#2 ·
Common answer is to ground the wire in the doors that senses lock/unlock.

A true security delete depends on model year.

#3 ·
93-95 alarm can be permanently disabled by the method kg6mov posted or by starting the jeep and unplugging and removing the security module while it's running so the ECM never gets the "alarm disable" signal, which is the more preferred method. 96-98 can not be disabled (AFAIK) but generally aren't as buggy and glitchy as the earlier models.

#4 ·
Wow I didn't even post what year or model it is. Sorry guys. It's a 1997 laredo. We cut the switch in the rear lift gate that activates the alarm and twisted the 2 wires together and that seemed to fix the issue. Now since this is a 97 you said that you can't unplug the module while the vehicle is running?

#6 ·
Sounds like it was the classic liftgate switch of broken. Thats a common one for alarms going off in the middle of the night and killing batteries with the BCM never sleeping.

#7 ·
Alarm system and the alarm system activate/de-activate horn beebs can be turned off with (the dealership only) Chrysler DRB3- scan tool.
It has been disabled on my niner :)

There is no way to disable the engine no-start (anti-theft) system once it has been armed on the PCM (IIRC 20 engine starts since the vehicle left factory, or new PCM has been installed).

#8 ·
Basicly no remotes came with the jeep and if he locks the doors using the power lock switch it arms the alarm. When he goes to get in for work the alarm goes off and it stops the vehicle from starting. Once we spliced the rear hatch wires together it seems to have stopped the alarm from arming. So there's a chance the dealer can disable the alarm system on a 97?

#9 ·
Like I wrote, the alarm system (horn beeping and lights flashing) can be disabled (control for that is programmed into BCM) - but the engine no-run cannot be disabled. Engine no-run is a built in feature on the PCM, which arms after 20 engine starts after the vehicle has been built, and after that it is always active.

#10 ·
Its probably a bad switch in the drivers door. When he unlocks the doors with the key, do the interior lights come on BEFORE he opens the door?

There is a little switch on the back of the key cylinder that disarms the security system (and turns the interior lights on). Mine fell off, had to epoxy it back on. Some just go bad.

If the lights DONT come on when you unlock the drivers door, try the passenger door. All 3 key cylinders have the switches. Which is a bad design IMHO.

#11 ·
Okay so update. This morning he went to go drive it and the batter was dead. Would that be because those wires are only supposed to be temporarily connected? And to the above post, the alarm arming switches hooked to the lock cylinders are unplugged so the alarm doesn't get armed.

#15 ·
If the cylinder switch lead is grounded the alarm won't arm.

#17 ·
No, the hatch switch you twisted together was the hatch open switch, which causes the alarm to go off or the battery to drain because it's telling the jeep that the door is open. The cylinder switch just tells the jeep if the door is locked/unlocked.

#18 ·
No, the hatch switch you twisted together was the hatch open switch, which causes the alarm to go off or the battery to drain because it's telling the jeep that the door is open. The cylinder switch just tells the jeep if the door is locked/unlocked.
The switch directly attached to the rear hatch lock cylinder is the cylinder switch correct? That is the switch that the wires we twisted together. The hatch open switch was not touched. Also when we crossed the wires for said switch, the alarm stopped not continued to go off.

#20 ·
Just fix the stupid switch on the rear door. The problem is most likely just the liftgate switch wiggling out of its clamp. Take a pair of pliers and squeeze the clamps on the switch back on.. Or better yet epoxy it in place .

A pic i found, see the switch in his hand, and the brass thing its suppose to go in on the door. Yours is loose clamp is back down or expoxy it. My 5.9 would flip the alarm on all the time until i finally glued it in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.