WTB ECM for 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WTB ECM for 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Reply
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
WTB ECM for 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I am pretty sure my ECM in my 1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 Auto is going out. I pulled the number from on top of it which is 56028116 and am wondering if anyone would have one lying around or know where I could get a decent deal on one??? I might know where one of them is but is would be out of a 1993 Laredo with a 4.0 5spd, would this work?

Thanks,

Eric

eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
Does anyone know where I can look to see what other ECMs would work?
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
elmer_fud
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 2,457
no idea where to check for compatible units. You could maybe pic one up from a junk yard
__________________
Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles
Colorado Jeep Club member Pi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
gomes512
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 1,143
What are the symptoms? What are condition of capacitors on the board? If caps, then ez fix.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
moparrr07
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: belvidere, Illinois
Posts: 772
what is an ecm? the only thing you could be talking about is a pcm!

10 seconds on google

http://www.autopart.com/ecc/ECC1993J...NDCHEROKEE.htm
http://www.enginecontrolunits.com/ca...ROKEE/1993.htm
http://www.chryslerecu.net/partindex/ecuoem122.htm

why do you think it is going bad, usually they fail or they dont, again like he said, what are the syptoms?
__________________
-Black Limited 1998 Jeep ZJ 5.2 nv3550 np242, 35s, lots of other stuff
moparrr07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
for some reason when I turn the key on the fuel pump is not kicking in, I have already changed relays and have ran the fuel pump manually from a switch to rule that out. it takes me about 5 minutes to start it in the morning and that is just sitting there and cycling the key until I hear the relays kick in and the fuel pump starts up...maybe I am way off I dont know?
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
I also have heard that it could be my security system???
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
elmer_fud
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprissel View Post
I also have heard that it could be my security system???
doubt it. The security system lets you start, then it kills the engine after 5 seconds.

I would search for a broken wire or loose connection really carefully before replacing the ECM
__________________
Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles
Colorado Jeep Club member Pi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
doubt it. The security system lets you start, then it kills the engine after 5 seconds.

I would search for a broken wire or loose connection really carefully before replacing the ECM
it will start but only after I mess around with it for several minutes. it just cranks over. I thought the security system disables it so it will just crank over?
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
vp6799
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 278
I had to replace the ecm on my 96. Not sure if the same thing applies to older OBD1 zj's as with the OBD2 zj's, but the only thing I had to watch out for is the factory security. I went to the dealer and got my build sheet. Checked it and I didn't have factory security. Then went to the parts yard and wrote down the vin to every 6cyl laredo zj they had and went back to the dealer to get build sheets for those. Just picked the first one that didn't have the factory security and it worked flawless.
__________________
[URL="http://oceanstatejeepsters.com/"]www.oceanstatejeepsters.com[/URL]
vp6799 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp6799 View Post
I had to replace the ecm on my 96. Not sure if the same thing applies to older OBD1 zj's as with the OBD2 zj's, but the only thing I had to watch out for is the factory security. I went to the dealer and got my build sheet. Checked it and I didn't have factory security. Then went to the parts yard and wrote down the vin to every 6cyl laredo zj they had and went back to the dealer to get build sheets for those. Just picked the first one that didn't have the factory security and it worked flawless.
Nice, well I already disabled my security system last night by grounding out the purple/yellow wire in the kick panel and its still the same so that rules that out. I guess I am on the hunt for a junkyard ecm...
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
vp6799
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprissel View Post
Nice, well I already disabled my security system last night by grounding out the purple/yellow wire in the kick panel and its still the same so that rules that out. I guess I am on the hunt for a junkyard ecm...
The tech I spoke with said it doesn't work that way. If the ecm has factory security, the new one will have to have it also. The BCM will not function correctly if the wrong ecm is installed. If you don't have factory security and you get an ecm with it, he said the bcm and a few other things will short out because of miscomunication between the 2.

I would def try to get one with security, less chance of screwing up other stuff.
__________________
[URL="http://oceanstatejeepsters.com/"]www.oceanstatejeepsters.com[/URL]
vp6799 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,056
There's no BCM in the 1993 ZJ -- the body control module was not utilized until 1996.

I'd have to poke around in the service manual, but the fact that the fuel pump relay does not engage is not necessarily indicative of a bad relay. Yes, the PCM/ECM/PCU/ECU (whatever you want to call it, LOL) has to energize the relay. But this is based on it getting the correct input from various sensors, etc. In other words, it may be on the input side to the PCM rather than the output side. It could be something as simple as the ignition switch.
__________________
Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
There's no BCM in the 1993 ZJ -- the body control module was not utilized until 1996.

I'd have to poke around in the service manual, but the fact that the fuel pump relay does not engage is not necessarily indicative of a bad relay. Yes, the PCM/ECM/PCU/ECU (whatever you want to call it, LOL) has to energize the relay. But this is based on it getting the correct input from various sensors, etc. In other words, it may be on the input side to the PCM rather than the output side. It could be something as simple as the ignition switch.
I am gonna try to get a service manual from a dealer and start testing, it shouldnt be this hard...

Last edited by eprissel; 12-10-2008 at 10:52 AM..
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
eprissel
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 43
had to replace the ecm...found one from the exact year and model jeep I have and the guy gave it to me for free because the sticker was missing and he couldnt verify the numbers...20 bucks shipping thats it and it started no problem at -25 degrees this morning.
__________________
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L - Stock
2004 Dodge SRT4 - FOR SALE
Cold Air Intake
Mopar BOV
eprissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.