Write-Up; Durango 160amp alternator swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Write-Up; Durango 160amp alternator swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Write-Up; Durango 160amp alternator swap

My 5.9's alternator decided to die on me last nite and since the 150 amp it uses are in short supply, i.e. non existent, and all the replacement alternators are 134amp which is a downgrade I decided to swap the 160amp from a 2003 Dodge Durango into my rig. Wicked over on thespeedfreaks.net gets credit for the original write up and for being the guinea pig who first tested it. **Usual disclaimers** I am in NO WAY responsible for any bad stuff that happens to you or your rig by attempting this swap! If you set it on fire, fry your PCM, burn your finger soldering wires, etc, its all on you! Now on to the fun stuff!

Materials needed;
---------------------
1) 2001-2003 Dodge Durango 160amp alternator w/ connector and pigtail of wire approx 4-8" long. Alternator P/N# Denso 56029 915AA
2) Soldering iron and good flux core solder
3) Propane torch
4) 1/8" heat shrink tubing
5) electrical tape
6) (1) 3/8", 6g ring connector / (1) 7/16" 8g ring connector <--these are what I used but depending on where you ground it these sizes may vary!

If you have a Haines/Chiltons/FSM or even super basic mechanical skill you can skip the boring stuff below and move on to the wiring part of this post.

1) Remove negative battery cable from battery
2) Remove upper and lower alternator mounting bolts and pull alternator out far enough to reach connectors on the backside or you can remove them while its still bolted to the mounts, your choice but its easier with the alternator removed and laying face down
3) Remove nut holding red (+) wire from the back of the alternator
4) Remove nuts holding the black box/connector from the back of your stock alternator
5) Remove old alternator from your vehicle and set it aside
6) Install new alternator into vehicle, minus the wiring

First of all is the alternator and its required wiring pigtail. I picked mine up from a local wrecking yard out of an 03 Durango 5.9 with low miles and w/ pigtail for $40, a steal compared to the $160 for a decent rebuilt 134 amp alt!

Once you have the new/used alternator bolted back in place its time to start on the wiring. First of all the black box/connector/ground thing needs to be removed so chop it where I've shown in the picture;

Once you cut the black box off the end your going to be left with 4 wires to deal with. First is the 2 green wires for the "Generator Field Driver" and "Generator Field Source", these 2 wires will go to the pigtail/plug that connects to the back of the new alternator. Second is the large black wire which is simply a ground strap. Lastly is the red power feed from the alternator to the PDC, Starter and Battery. At this point you can cut the end off the red wire since it needs to be replaced with a larger one.

The solid green and green/purple striped wires from your stock harness (colors may vary yr to yr/model to model, check your FSM) connect from the PCM's "Generator Field Driver" (solid green) and "Generator Field Source" (green/violet) to the original alternator plug. Wicked's write up points out that these wires can apparently be switched with no ill effects but I chose to match them to their respective spots on the PCM. On the Durango the colors are different being I had 1 solid green wire and 1 white with black stripe wire. The solid green wires both correspond to the "Generator Field Driver" on each PCM so thats how I wired mine up. Start by stripping the ends of the 2 solid green wires, 1 from your harness and 1 from the new pigtail and twist them together. Repeat this process for the green/violet and white/black wires as shown below. be sure to slide a piece of heat shrink tubing down each wire prior to soldering, then solder the wires avoiding a cold solder joint. Once the solder joints cool apply the heat shrink tubing and wrap the wires together with electrical tape.

Next up is the heavy black ground from the black box you cut off and the red power feed that attaches to the alternator. This cut ground needs to be connected somewhere to a ground point and you can see in the picture below theres a few to choose from. I picked the factory ground point behind the tensioner where the green arrow points. This is where I used the 8g 7/16" ring connector. You could choose to just crimp this and the red power feed from the alternator but I chose to use solder, hence the need for the propane torch. To solder joint the rings to the wires simply strip 1/4" of insulation off the cut end, insert into the ring connector then heat the the very end of the ring connector until the center strands of wire get hot enough to melt the solder. Keep applying solder to the strands until the joint is full and completely soldered, repeat this process for the red wire. Once they cool down, wrap the red wire end with electrical tape or heat shrink then bolt the ground to your choice of places on the engine and the red power feed to the back of the alternator.

Ground wire and ground points;

Power wire with soldered on 3/8" 6g ring connector

Finally, plug the connector into the alternator, double check all your wires, bolts/nuts, reconnect the negative battery cable and fire her up! I'm not exactly sure how long my alternator had been going out for but I noticed right away all my lights are brighter, there's no noticeable drop in my dash lights when the e-fan kicks on and having everything (heater/stereo/lights/wipers) on doesn't make my voltage gauge drop or my lights dim out.

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Nice. I'm doing this.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I realize this is an older post....but did you have to change the pulley on the donar to match the ribbing on you jeep stuff? Everything I found had one more rib than mine does...but I also have a 4.0......could this be the difference? If so, do I just swap the pulley from the old to the new and all is good?
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
I realize this is an older post....but did you have to change the pulley on the donar to match the ribbing on you jeep stuff? Everything I found had one more rib than mine does...but I also have a 4.0......could this be the difference? If so, do I just swap the pulley from the old to the new and all is good?
You could swap the pulley or just leave the front rib (closest rib to the fan) empty. I have a 4.0 as well and i have the font rib empty, been running the 160 amp alt. for 2 years no problems.
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBeats96JGC View Post
You could swap the pulley or just leave the front rib (closest rib to the fan) empty. I have a 4.0 as well and i have the font rib empty, been running the 160 amp alt. for 2 years no problems.
Thanks...that's what I needed to know. I had a bit of another issue come up...now have a blend door actuator that i have replace. Seems to be one thing after another this weekend.
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

My 160 Amp bolted right up, no mods at all, the back of it looks the same as my original 90 amp and the 136 i used after that. Here is a question though, If i put a little bit smaller pulley on the 160Amp alt to get higher output at lower rpm would it shorten the lifespan of the alt? Not going to go much smaller, maybe 1/4 - 3/8 smaller.
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBeats96JGC View Post
My 160 Amp bolted right up, no mods at all, the back of it looks the same as my original 90 amp and the 136 i used after that.
Ummm you got a Durango Alt with the exact plug(s) as the Jeep????? And didn't have to cut and splice in a Durango plug and remount the ground wire?

I had to get the plug as described in the write up thread, but hands down this instantly became one of my easiest and favorite upgrades I've done. My interior lights don't dim, the power windows are faster, big stereo doesn't have feedback and crackling.....for the $140 at Autozone, this was more than worth the money!!
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
Ummm you got a Durango Alt with the exact plug(s) as the Jeep????? And didn't have to cut and splice in a Durango plug and remount the ground wire?

I had to get the plug as described in the write up thread, but hands down this instantly became one of my easiest and favorite upgrades I've done. My interior lights don't dim, the power windows are faster, big stereo doesn't have feedback and crackling.....for the $140 at Autozone, this was more than worth the money!!
This is the Alt i have in my jeep. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281046897693...84.m1497.l2649
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

How the hell has NOBODY ever found the Dodge Caravan alternator that is the same mount and uses the lil box on the back like our jeeps????? Damnit man I think you've stumbled on to a great find for all the other jeepers here. I've never seen anywhere, and I would have definitely purchased this had I known of it, but I cut my wires just like the right up.....great find!!
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Is this Caravan alt just rewound to the higher amperage or was it 160amp from the factory?

I had wondered about the Caravan..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Is this Caravan alt just rewound to the higher amperage or was it 160amp from the factory?

I had wondered about the Caravan..
It's possible it's rewound higher but the casing is the same size as the 136 Amp i had in before it.
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Did some Googlin'.. appears the Caravan did use a 160 amp alt as an upgrade on some models from the 136/140 amp.. this was for an 06 model so i assume it would have the newer styled plug.

Guess it was possible on older models with the same plugs.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
davidtownsend
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
My 5.9's alternator decided to die on me last nite and since the 150 amp it uses are in short supply, i.e. non existent, and all the replacement alternators are 134amp which is a downgrade I decided to swap the 160amp from a 2003 Dodge Durango into my rig. Wicked over on thespeedfreaks.net gets credit for the original write up and for being the guinea pig who first tested it. **Usual disclaimers** I am in NO WAY responsible for any bad stuff that happens to you or your rig by attempting this swap! If you set it on fire, fry your PCM, burn your finger soldering wires, etc, its all on you! Now on to the fun stuff!

Materials needed;
---------------------
1) 2001-2003 Dodge Durango 160amp alternator w/ connector and pigtail of wire approx 4-8" long. Alternator P/N# Denso 56029 915AA
2) Soldering iron and good flux core solder
3) Propane torch
4) 1/8" heat shrink tubing
5) electrical tape
6) (1) 3/8", 6g ring connector / (1) 7/16" 8g ring connector <--these are what I used but depending on where you ground it these sizes may vary!

If you have a Haines/Chiltons/FSM or even super basic mechanical skill you can skip the boring stuff below and move on to the wiring part of this post.

1) Remove negative battery cable from battery
2) Remove upper and lower alternator mounting bolts and pull alternator out far enough to reach connectors on the backside or you can remove them while its still bolted to the mounts, your choice but its easier with the alternator removed and laying face down
3) Remove nut holding red (+) wire from the back of the alternator
4) Remove nuts holding the black box/connector from the back of your stock alternator
5) Remove old alternator from your vehicle and set it aside
6) Install new alternator into vehicle, minus the wiring

First of all is the alternator and its required wiring pigtail. I picked mine up from a local wrecking yard out of an 03 Durango 5.9 with low miles and w/ pigtail for $40, a steal compared to the $160 for a decent rebuilt 134 amp alt!

Once you have the new/used alternator bolted back in place its time to start on the wiring. First of all the black box/connector/ground thing needs to be removed so chop it where I've shown in the picture;

Once you cut the black box off the end your going to be left with 4 wires to deal with. First is the 2 green wires for the "Generator Field Driver" and "Generator Field Source", these 2 wires will go to the pigtail/plug that connects to the back of the new alternator. Second is the large black wire which is simply a ground strap. Lastly is the red power feed from the alternator to the PDC, Starter and Battery. At this point you can cut the end off the red wire since it needs to be replaced with a larger one.

The solid green and green/purple striped wires from your stock harness (colors may vary yr to yr/model to model, check your FSM) connect from the PCM's "Generator Field Driver" (solid green) and "Generator Field Source" (green/violet) to the original alternator plug. Wicked's write up points out that these wires can apparently be switched with no ill effects but I chose to match them to their respective spots on the PCM. On the Durango the colors are different being I had 1 solid green wire and 1 white with black stripe wire. The solid green wires both correspond to the "Generator Field Driver" on each PCM so thats how I wired mine up. Start by stripping the ends of the 2 solid green wires, 1 from your harness and 1 from the new pigtail and twist them together. Repeat this process for the green/violet and white/black wires as shown below. be sure to slide a piece of heat shrink tubing down each wire prior to soldering, then solder the wires avoiding a cold solder joint. Once the solder joints cool apply the heat shrink tubing and wrap the wires together with electrical tape.

Next up is the heavy black ground from the black box you cut off and the red power feed that attaches to the alternator. This cut ground needs to be connected somewhere to a ground point and you can see in the picture below theres a few to choose from. I picked the factory ground point behind the tensioner where the green arrow points. This is where I used the 8g 7/16" ring connector. You could choose to just crimp this and the red power feed from the alternator but I chose to use solder, hence the need for the propane torch. To solder joint the rings to the wires simply strip 1/4" of insulation off the cut end, insert into the ring connector then heat the the very end of the ring connector until the center strands of wire get hot enough to melt the solder. Keep applying solder to the strands until the joint is full and completely soldered, repeat this process for the red wire. Once they cool down, wrap the red wire end with electrical tape or heat shrink then bolt the ground to your choice of places on the engine and the red power feed to the back of the alternator.

Ground wire and ground points;

Power wire with soldered on 3/8" 6g ring connector

Finally, plug the connector into the alternator, double check all your wires, bolts/nuts, reconnect the negative battery cable and fire her up! I'm not exactly sure how long my alternator had been going out for but I noticed right away all my lights are brighter, there's no noticeable drop in my dash lights when the e-fan kicks on and having everything (heater/stereo/lights/wipers) on doesn't make my voltage gauge drop or my lights dim out.
Could you send me a picture of green wire and white and black one? Where they connect to the alt? I am going to do this swap tomorrow and I'll be getting a new alt because I'm tired of all the my alts going out on me.
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

This might be a little late, but there is a Chrysler minivan alternator that is a direct fit and 160 amps with the correct grooves on the pulley.
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991
This might be a little late, but there is a Chrysler minivan alternator that is a direct fit and 160 amps with the correct grooves on the pulley.
Model of the van?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.