Write-up: cooling system upgrade with aux. tranny cooler using AN- fittings - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Write-up: cooling system upgrade with aux. tranny cooler using AN- fittings

Although I posted this on my build thread as well, I thought I'd post a write-up in case anyone is interested.

It was already time to replace my radiator, since it is original and starting to be in ..eeh.. somewhat bad condition. My A/C condenser was also slightly leaking, loosing the full charge within about 5-6 months to a point of having no working A/C.

1998 yearmodel ZJs don't have an external aux. tranny cooler, just the "upgraded" internal radiator cooling - which is not enough even for street use in summer. I will also replace the OEM cooler lines with AN- fittings and hose.

Here's how the original radiator looked like:

New radiator from Radiator express - keep in mind '98 ZJs have different radiator cooler fittings from the '93-'97; Radiator express doesn't list a '98 radiator on their site at all.

..also shown is a Valeo A/C condenser from Rockauto - which I absolutely do NOT recommend to buy! It is such a piece of crap it should've never been produced. There is simply NOTHING that fits right - not even with the OEM radiator.

I bought a variety of AN -6 fittings and braided SS hose for the aux.- cooler project. Idea is to replace OEM tranny cooler lines and route a bit different.

I could not find a suitable adapter from the 5/8" 45 SAE to AN -6 (37 JIC) fittings. So instead of that, I bought two aluminum AN -6 weld-on bungs for the radiator, cut off the OEM fittings and had a friend of mine TIG- weld the AN- fittings to the radiator.

I then went on to buy an Omix-Ada A/C condenser, because the Valeo unit was such crap. I did have to slightly modify the lower mounts on the OMIX- Ada condenser, but that wasn't really an issue, because test-fitting the OEM condenser would've needed exactly the same thing.
Valeo unit wouldn't have fit, both low- and high pressure tubes were bent wrong and hit the radiator, etc...

I even installed strips of window seal moulding, just like there is a piece of neoprene (or rubber?) between the condeser and radiator on the OEM setup to prevent air to escape between them.

Then plenty of test-fittings, marking, test-fitting again, marking again, and finally finding the perfect spot for the Derale 9000- series fluid cooler.

This is the 9-row model, rated for up to a full-size truck. Part #13612. It uses 1/2" NPT female threads on the ports, so it was easy to find adapters to convert to AN -6.

Then some hose & fitting work, so I can start installing some bling

Done:

Here are a couple shots showing the *very* tight fit on the front under the radiator upper cross brace.
I couldn't install the aux. cooler any lower, because it would've hit my winch - which is tucked as close to the A/C condenser as possible

This one is missing the 90 fitting, so it is also going to be a very tight fit

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I wanted to add a fluid thermostat to control tranny fluid flow into the cooling system. With the annual temperatures varying between -25F...85F, I know having too much tranny fluid cooling is a possibility.
Even the stock setup is effective enough in winter that tranny fluid temps stay below 120F when on rush-hour stop-and-go traffic.

I bought a Derale fluid t'stat; it has a constant ~10% by-pass so that some fluid always keeps circulating through the coolers. It fully opens at 180F; I don't know at which temp it starts to open, but I'd expect at somewhere around 150F. This should help keep the tranny warm enough in the winter, and cooling it enough even under the most severe use.

Derale part #25719; it uses the same 1/2" NPT threads on it, so again it's easy to convert to AN -6 fittings using adapters.

Finding a good place to mount it was harder than i expected - it is actually fairly large with the adapters and AN- fittings mounted to it. I found mounting it between the oil pan and drivers' side engine mount to be the best place for it.
I don't have pictures of the DIY brackets I did, but it was basically a 3/16" thick spacer on the oil pan lip, and then a straight .088" plate with holes for the t'stat housing and catching two oil pan mounting bolts.

Sorry for the shaky picture:

Pulling the OEM cooler line fittings and replacing them with AN -6 fittings was a no-brainer. Transmission uses 1/4" NPT threads, and 1/4" NPT -> AN-6 adapters are readily available.

I used high- quality Loctite thread sealant to prevent fluid leaks. I made damn sure NOT to overtighten the adapters, because it is a known fact using non-OEM fittings can and will easily crack the transmission housing.

Front (cooler feed):

Rear (cooler return); this is the one that usually cracks the housing:

..at this point I ran out of 90 fittings and time - I had to leave for work. I'll post up the rest once I get this finished. Hopefully by Sunday, so I've got my Jeep back on the road for the Monday morning shift

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 38 Old 05-13-2016, 11:51 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Looks like you're doing it right, Timo. Great write-up. I probably should upgrade my system, but it'll have to wait a bit. I don't do any towing, and I drive that old 4 liter pretty conservatively, so I hope the tranny lasts a few more years. With nearly 190K on it now, I might be asking a bit much. We'll see.

Thanks for the warning on the Valeo condenser. I had read a review on Amazon where someone complained about having to modify it a lot to fit. I want no part of that crap.

Nice welds on those mounting tabs. Good luck completing the job and write-up. Cheers.

post #4 of 38 Old 05-14-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
Looks like you're doing it right, Timo. Great write-up.
Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks for the warning on the Valeo condenser. I had read a review on Amazon where someone complained about having to modify it a lot to fit. I want no part of that crap.
It's not just the mounting brackets that are bad on the Valeo; condenser itself was twisted in all directions - the metal tubes are bent wrong. Shipping box had zero damage, so it must be a manufacturing thing. I tried this one with the OEM radiator and it was a no-go. Would've needed plenty of bending and modifying.

Omix-Ada condenser was fairly expensive, but it's an exact fit to the OEM radiator.

***Under construction***
post #5 of 38 Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Got the plumbing done.. I'm happy with the end result. Engine cooling system was working well before, but this sure didn't make it worse. Also got the A/C system recharged, blows cold air

As just about everyone with a '98 ZJ knows, their transmissions tend to overheat due to the non-existing aux. cooler from the factory. They simply don't have enough cooling capacity for the transmission.

Differences before/ after.
With the current coolish weather (~60F), my tranny used to run between 180F (highways) up to over 200F. When wheeling or in city traffic on hotter days, I've had my tranny hit over to 250F.
Today, after warming up it ran at constant 160F all day long. I didn't have a chance to try wheeling, but based on how steady temps were today (plenty of stop-and-go city traffic), temps being 30...40F cooler than before gives me enough proof to say my tranny will not overheat.

Quote from my wife: "Too bad parts that look so good go under the Jeep to be dirty!"

Sorry for the crappy shots, didn't take my DSLR with me

Aux. cooler:

Bottom connection on the rad. is the feed line, top goes to aux. cooler, tube on the rear comes from aux. cooler, back to tranny:

..another shot, also showing the fluid t'stat:

T'stat:

I will fab a mounting bracket for the tubes, but I routed them in such a way they really won't accidentally move and touch front DS or exhaust:

Tranny connections:

***Under construction***
post #6 of 38 Old 05-15-2016, 02:09 PM
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Eastern Marine has fitting blocks,glue on and weld on.
Parker also has the blocks as well.
I have links on my computer at home if you need them.
You can also buy 2x2 stock and make your own by drilling the holes and cutting the piece in half.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #7 of 38 Old 05-15-2016, 03:01 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Looks good!
post #8 of 38 Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

wow nice, I am ashamed of my power steering cooler install
post #9 of 38 Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
this is all brilliant timo

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.
post #10 of 38 Old 05-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Real nice Timo and great photos!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #11 of 38 Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
wow nice, I am ashamed of my power steering cooler install
That's the transmission cooler! Much better that the hard lines.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-16-2016, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'm currently using a KJ- sourced power steering cooler. Once I do the PSC steering box + pump upgrade (current box and pump are starting to fail), I'll upgrade the steering cooling as well. IIRC PSC remote fluid reservoir uses AN6 or AN8 fittings, I'll probably get a similar Derale fluid cooler, but a bit smaller.

***Under construction***
post #13 of 38 Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 AM
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Good write up Timo! I myself just ordered the B&M 70268 super cooler which is supposed to have a variable flow monitor to control the temp of fluid until it warms up. I hope that feature will keep me from using the thermostat you installed as the less connections I make, the better. I have a newly upgraded and rebuilt 44re and hope that I can just install this cooler in place of the smaller factory cooler that came in my 96 5.2l. I do like those nice shiny braided lines! Might have to snag some of those.

TN JEEPER
post #14 of 38 Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Like the bling! Whats the best way to cut the hose? Chop saw and tape?

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #15 of 38 Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 AM
LowBudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

Nice work! You've inspired me to take this on for my '98.

98 ZJ 4.0 42RE NP242
75 CJ5 232 T14 D20.....STOLEN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.