Would you worry about a tranny or radiator flush? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Would you worry about a tranny or radiator flush?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Would you worry about a tranny or radiator flush?

So I've mentioned a few times on here that I'm buying a jeep that has 174k miles on it. a 98 zj limited for $2800. (Edited - this is the 4.0l I6 engine)

The exterior and interior are almost like new, they have no problems at all. From my knowledge and a few other peoples Ive consulted with it seems to be in good working mechanical order. I did not notice any tranny slipping or anything of that nature, nor did I notice any over heating or hardly any change in temperature at all when test driving it.

With those kind of miles and me picking it up not knowing what as been done to it, seeing what I mentioned above, should I go ahead and have the tranny or radiator flushed? Would i risk causing any more problems if I do decide to have those things done?

You all having jeeps and knowing far more than i ever will, what are some suggestions on what i SHOULD do for maintenance when i get this jeep?

BL_Maros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would be hesitant to spend that much on a jeep with that kind of mileage on it. And I know it's been debated on here a million times but unless the trans has been service regularly I probably wouldn't do the flush unless the fluid looks really bad
1998 XJ- 4.0/AX-15/231- DD until grad school is over. Then back to the trails
Jeepfordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If it's the limited and still has the original t-case then there's a 99% chance there're vc is shot. Drive it around for a few minutes then do some tight figure eights in a parking lot to check for binding.
1998 XJ- 4.0/AX-15/231- DD until grad school is over. Then back to the trails
Jeepfordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Like i said i test drove it and even in took it through a couple fields (with out them knowing), i did several tight turns in those fields. Not sure if what youre looking for would show up on a soft ground like that but i did not notice anything at all. It was a surprisingly smooth and problem free jeep. But when i get a chance to test drive it again can you define the "binding" id be looking for?

what would i be looking at to fix this problem if it does arise? I'm guessing if its a problem in the transfer case it probably has caused problems else ware too?

Edit - He replaced the rear end recently, if that has any weight on the subject.

Edited again - I thought a 1998 Jeep Grand cherokee inline 6 4.0l has the 242 tcase? Was i wrong about that? The 249's were the ones notorious for the vc dying right?

All ive got in it is 4 all time - Neutral - 4 Low

Last edited by BL_Maros; 07-26-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
classicmetalman

13 year old vehicle, things WILL eventually need repairing/replacing, no gettin around it. If you feel comfortable with it after your test drive, I'd do it.

I'd pass on the Trans flush unless you know for sure PO did it routinely. Drop the pan, change the filter (might wanna consider changing the Govenor Pressure sensor and solenoid while you got er opened up, common fail points on these trannies) add a drain plug for next time, you"ll find out why , and top off with fluid (ATF+4). Drain n refill again after a couple of weeks and you should have all new fluid in there.

Radiator flush isn't gonna hurt. Change the oil and give her a tune-up and should be good to go.

1 issue I have with the ZJ's, seems like EVERYTHING is electrical related, PITA!! Do yourself a favor and get a multimeter.

OH BTW, yes on the 242. IN FAQ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

I'm glad to hear that about it being the 242. I was really excited about this zj esp after driving it. I def understand the statement about it being a 13 year old vehicle and having to have things replaced.

Luckily I already have a multimeter! Lol

I thought 2800 was good esp since he had it listed for 3500 =(
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

If the shift bezel only has 4 all time, n, and 4 lo, then you have the 249. And if the vc has not been replaced with that many miles on it , then it is probably bad. Drive it around for a while to heat it up and then do tight figure 8 turns in a parking lot. (pavement, not dirt). Any hopping or chirping indicates a bad vc. Another thing to look for is the tires. If they are mismatched then it is prob. bad. The vc is sensitive to uneven tires, even the pressure. But tc swaps are not that hard. Same goes for replacing the vc. Good luck.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I'd do the rad flush, it won't hurt anything, and might help with any cooling problems that might arise. As to what T/Case you have, what are your shift options? If 1 of them is 2 W/D, you don't have the 249. If you have only 4 high,neutral, and 4 low, you have the 249. If you have 2wd,4wd high, neutral, and 4wd low, you have the 242.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

A lot of miles, but then $2800 as long as its working good then thats a decent price i'd say. Any lower and usually at least around my area they are mechanicly fracked up. Just remember 13 years old and you are gonna have to replace and fix things eventually.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Derph
1994 ZJ 

I paid 2200 for my 94 Laredo with 184000 on it with a bad tc. My .02
Derph is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.