Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

would you buy another zj or step up to a wj ? or is it step down ?

8K views 120 replies 48 participants last post by  ArloGuthroJeep 
#1 ·
ok here is the story i own a zj and an xj im thinking of getting a newer truck/suv....WJ overland or limited....whats the pro's and con's of these my buddy has an overland and before that he had an limited....i like how they look and the interior is..but i dont know much about them...or im thinking of going with a newer dodge ram 1500 quad cab....help me out like the look of them both but never drove any of them.....

#2 ·
Test driving is probably a good place to start. The WJ is more nimble than the ZJ. Depending on the engine/drivetrain combo in the comparative vehicles, the result will differ quite a bit. You might ask your friend if you can take his for a lengthy spin.

However, here are some quick points:

Available 4.7HO engine
Quadra Drive II
Sub-floor spare tire storage

#3 ·
I have a ZJ and a WJ. I never drive my WJ. To me, ZJs are more comfortable, and you can actually see out of them from the drivers seat. When i rolled my ZJ, I had the chance to get a few different WJs and ZJs, I chose to get another ZJ.

They are pretty nice, I just like ZJs better.

My old work truck was a newer 4 door 1500 Ram 5.9. All in all I liked the way it drove as far as trucks go. Didnt really have any problems with it. Lots of room front and back. As far as trucks go thats one of the better options.

Id still get a ZJ.

And what on earth do you need a pick up for? Anything you can stuff in an 8 foot bed, you can put in the back seat of a ZJ

#4 ·
i cant think of a single reason that a WJ would be a downgrade from a ZJ or XJ.

Your personal preference, and budget, should dictate what you look at though.

I agree with dude.
Test drive some, see the differences.

I think my WJ is 1000% better then my XJ, and wouldnt want to downgrade to a ZJ or XJ after this.

My next car (3-5 years away, probably) is probably going to be another WJ if i can find a nice one... or perhaps a WK.

#6 ·
Its left the driveway 3 times this summer, all when my brother needed to borrow it. When i rolled my ZJ, I still DDd it for 2 or 3 weeks till I got another ZJ.

I just dont care for the feel of them. Its not my kind of driving experience.

I think I may send the WJ off to college with my brother next time hes home tho. It needs a good home.

#7 ·
well my zj isnt stock 4.5 lift 32's etc etc i got the xj cuz it was a good deal im leaning toward the ram but im going to have to talk to some friends who own/ work for some local car dealerships to take them out on a test drive...i also have a truck now but my uncle needs it more then i do so im selling it to him....some people told me the ram's dont stop to good i dont know exactly ive never been in one anyone have any issues with this....it probably will be towing the zj around sometime if i get a trailer

#13 ·
Aside from being next to impossible to find...why!? If you want a 'bare bones' rig you want a XJ.

to the OP..

ZJ: cheaper/more aftermarket. cheaper (older) vehicles
WJ: Quadra-Drive. no rear track bar.

#9 ·
I have an 03 WJ Overland now simply because my wife wrecked my ZJ. While looking for another ZJ I stumbled across this Overland at such a price I almost HAD to buy it. VERY nice but a world apart from the ZJ and I have a hard time seeing the relation in driving characteristics between the two, to be honest. The ZJ was my "beater". Throw this or that in or on top of it, get from A to B, perhaps THROUGH some woods. You know the deal. Now my Overland is too nice. Not a scratch on it and not a mark in the interior. Now I'm so candy assed with this thing it's pathetic. SUPER nice vehicle and it's something you can be proud of to be valet parked but in the end it comes down to use. If you need a pick-up then get the Dodge. If you need something you don't mind beating up, get another ZJ. Of course, if you can stand beating up one hell of a nice vehicle, and want ALL the bells and whistles, go for the overland.

#14 ·
Well... the blend door issue won't round off your front tires like the viscous coupling issue and since both are nearly 100% odds, I'll take the blend door failure over the 249 crap I went through with my ZJ. Throw in the wobbly-as-hell front end that the VAST majority of ZJ's have (even off the showroom floor) and it's a neck-and-neck race. I'm no hardcore off-roader. I just have a boat to tow, a four-wheeler trailer and a swampy yard to move both around in. Again, I loved my ZJ for all it was but since I've had my WJ, it would be REALLY tough going back. That would be like going from my 97 ZJ to an 87' GMC Jimmy. :)

#15 ·
I have a 97' limited and my dad owns a 00' laredo. I personally feel bored when i drive his jeep. I don't like the way the seats feel and I don't like the inside of the jeep as much as mine. IMO its boring compared to the zj. Both have their problems so really it just comes down to your own opinion. Put a zj and a wj side by side and you'll find the answer. Your obviously going to lean towards one more than the other. BOTH have problems, I just couldn't leave my zj behind. GOOD LUCK!

#22 ·
WJ.

Much nicer in every aspect, except for maybe the no hood light, no cargo cover, and no roof rack rails on my '02.
My 99 WJ has all of these:D

#17 ·
your overland didnt come with any of those?
meh. cost cutting measures.
my laredo has all three.

#27 ·
I think the ZJ is the best looking GC (especially a silver 5.9 - no other GC looks nicer IMHO) but my personal preference when everything is considered is: WJ>XJ>ZJ

WJ: goes, turns, and stops better while being safer and more comfortable
XJ: bulletproof
ZJ: looks like a Grand should

If you take it off the pavement, then I have to say no Grand is more capable stock from the showroom than the WJ Overland (yes, I am biased :laugh:)

#28 ·
well i have my offroad jeep....and my xj i use for work basically truck is being sold and my SRT-4 is my nice car so i think i might be looking into the ram....because i could seat everyone easily will all 4 doors and still throw in a few tires along with other stuff in the back.....

#29 ·
My XJ was capable, but lacked all the things my WJ has.

My bro-in-law's ZJ is ok, but gets crap for gas mileage.

In the end, everyone is gonna have opinions on what's better. I say WJ over a ZJ any day, but go test drive them and see which you like for yourself.

#34 ·
late '95 V8 ZJ
still the simpler OBD1, but has the later fuel injection and braking system, 46RH trans can be built very stout w/good performance, 5.2 is bulletproof and can achieve over 400hp/lbs with work and $. Parts are available and cheap. Just need to delete the 249 transfer case and maybe rear axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.