Would a 95-96 Grand Cherokee be a not-too-expensive daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Would a 95-96 Grand Cherokee be a not-too-expensive daily driver?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-28-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
budbiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5
Would a 95-96 Grand Cherokee be a not-too-expensive daily driver?

I need a "new" used vehicle and I only want to spend around $6k, I drive about 350-400 miles a week and take 200-250 mile round-trip weekend trips about once a month. Is a Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder going to fit the bill? I'm just hoping gas, repairs, and insurance don't end up being a killer.

budbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
budbiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5
forgot to mention a few things

also, being a 95-96, most are going to have about 100k miles or more, is this ok? How are the motors/trannies at this many miles? How long to they last?
budbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 20,117
I'm driving mine roughly 50 miles each day. It really depends on what YOUR definition of not-too-expensive is.


Hunter
__________________
00 4.7 Laredo...stock

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.3661
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Ryan2son
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 133
I drive my Jeep every day and get along fine. I'm not too worried about gas proces though - just have accepted them unfortunately
__________________
Richard

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
pozner
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Homestead, Fla.
Posts: 61
Re: Would a 95-96 Grand Cherokee be a not-too-expensive daily driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by budbiss
I need a "new" used vehicle and I only want to spend around $6k, I drive about 350-400 miles a week and take 200-250 mile round-trip weekend trips about once a month. Is a Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder going to fit the bill? I'm just hoping gas, repairs, and insurance don't end up being a killer.
I get 14MPG on my '94, but expect that to improve when I replace the 02 sensor. The engine has 203000 miles on it and runs great. I'm still replacing maintenance stuff ignored by the PO (previous owner) and that will probably cost a few hundred bucks, but after that it will be normal maintenance.
My tranny works fine but expect the viscous coupling to go bad if it hasn't already. If you can live with it (I do), you'll save money. As a driver over 55 with a perfect driving record, I pay $409 every 6 months through State Farm. If you are under 25, you'll probably pay through the nose for full coverage, but it depends where you live.
If you are serious about what you say, buy a totally stock vehicle owned by a soccer mom. DO NOT buy a modded vehicle or you will be forever fixing it. It will be a giant money pit. Buy the repair manuals and do your own work. A dealer will rape your wallet. A '95 or '96 shouldn't cost more than $4K-$5K, but shop around. They make fine daily drivers if you do the maintenence and start off with a solid vehicle.
__________________
Poz
'94 red Grand Cherokee
Six cyl.
pozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
budbiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5
Re: Re: Would a 95-96 Grand Cherokee be a not-too-expensive daily driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by pozner

I get 14MPG on my '94, but expect that to improve when I replace the 02 sensor. The engine has 203000 miles on it and runs great. I'm still replacing maintenance stuff ignored by the PO (previous owner) and that will probably cost a few hundred bucks, but after that it will be normal maintenance.
My tranny works fine but expect the viscous coupling to go bad if it hasn't already. If you can live with it (I do), you'll save money. As a driver over 55 with a perfect driving record, I pay $409 every 6 months through State Farm. If you are under 25, you'll probably pay through the nose for full coverage, but it depends where you live.
If you are serious about what you say, buy a totally stock vehicle owned by a soccer mom. DO NOT buy a modded vehicle or you will be forever fixing it. It will be a giant money pit. Buy the repair manuals and do your own work. A dealer will rape your wallet. A '95 or '96 shouldn't cost more than $4K-$5K, but shop around. They make fine daily drivers if you do the maintenence and start off with a solid vehicle.

I just don't want to buy one and have to end up putting a tranny or something into it. I understand 100,000 miles isn't a horrendous amount for cars and trucks these days, but its still 100,000 miles. I'm 23, but I live in a somewhat rural part of PA, so I'm hoping insurance isn't going to be a huge killer. But right now I just want a GC because I like how they look, they drive nice, 4wd will be great for the northeast PA winters and I have a 4 year old and want something he will be safe in. Maybe later down the road I'll get more into heavy off-roading.

BTW, you said you have to do some repairs on stuff the previous owner let go, what exactly do you have to fix?
budbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
Invisible
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Taneytown, MD
Posts: 251
My girlfriend has a 96 with 95,000 miles. She drives about 225+/- miles a week. 17-20mpg, no major problems since she bought it. If you keep the maintance stuff up the 4.0 6cyl should last you about 200,000 miles. Do a lot of reasearch, and make sure you have a CarFax report done.
Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
pozner
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Homestead, Fla.
Posts: 61
Re: Re: Re: Would a 95-96 Grand Cherokee be a not-too-expensive daily driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by budbiss


I just don't want to buy one and have to end up putting a tranny or something into it. I understand 100,000 miles isn't a horrendous amount for cars and trucks these days, but its still 100,000 miles. I'm 23, but I live in a somewhat rural part of PA, so I'm hoping insurance isn't going to be a huge killer. But right now I just want a GC because I like how they look, they drive nice, 4wd will be great for the northeast PA winters and I have a 4 year old and want something he will be safe in. Maybe later down the road I'll get more into heavy off-roading.

BTW, you said you have to do some repairs on stuff the previous owner let go, what exactly do you have to fix?
I live in a high risk (Miami) area, so insurance is expensive here.
The repairs I've done are a new radiator (hole) $155. Water pump $50. radiator & heater hoses $25?, anti-freeze $12, distilled water $3, Serpentine belt $32, tranny filter & fluid $35, TC fluid $15 same as tranny fluid), valve cover gasket $6, delay wiper module $28, differential lube (synthetic 85W/140) $20, new wiper blades $12, dist. cap, rotor, wires(Bosch), plugs $??.
Plus, he never lubed the suspension points, so I still have to do that, and I want to change the shocks and steering stabilizer with Monroe Sensa-trac ($150). Except for oil changes and new plugs at regular maintenance schedules, I see no need to put more money into it. My VC in the TC is bad, but I can live with it.
Don't go 'muddin', but I wouldn't be afraid to go trail riding with this stock setup (Fla. is flat).
If what you find looks good and rides good, the "radio test" is the last thing to check: Turn on the radio, if the first button is skull-splitting head banger heavy metal, be very suspicious. I'll put all my stations on 'easy listening' before I try to sell it. :-)
__________________
Poz
'94 red Grand Cherokee
Six cyl.
pozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.