Worth fixing? Major rust underneath - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Worth fixing? Major rust underneath

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
BSH
1998 ZJ 

Worth fixing? Major rust underneath

I'm going to try posting a few pictures of what I have. I have a bad real axle seal & bearing on the right rear, and while I was looking at that, I found rust-through on the rear control arms. The rockers & pinch seams are shot, as are the bottoms of the pillars. The muffler is shot, the heat shield is resting on top of the muffler, and I think there's a bad O2 sensor. I don't know if the control arms can even be replaced, because the rust has every bolt underneath frozen. I tried removing the hitch from the receiver by putting a strap on it attached to a couple of heavy/immovable objects, and the hitch wouldn't budge, even without the pin, because it's welded solid with rust. The receiver won't come off either, because the bolts are rusted on. 4Lo also won't work - linkage on the shifter is pretty messed up with rust, too.

Is this thing worth fixing? I'm looking at serious money for the axle seal, bearing, and control arms, and I don't know if I can even do some of them. Bear in mind, I have no budget - currently unemployed, but favorable prospects on my most recent interviews. Is it junk, drive it 'til it falls apart with minimal money? Or spend the coin to upgrade the drive train? (build new bars in place of rockers, new control arms, may as well do shocks, springs, overhaul the axle) It's got 160,000 miles, and the engine is in pretty good shape. What do you think?

p4290643.jpg   p4290644.jpg   p4290645.jpg   p4290646.jpg   p4290649.jpg  

p4290650.jpg  
BSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

IMO With the unibody being so bad drive it off road like you stole it then when something breaks part it out or junk it.
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Anything can be replaced, it's just metal. Even if the nut was mig welded to the bolt holding the control arm in you could still just cut the bolt and replace it with new hardware. Your jeep has rust but it doesn't look any worse than any other 15 year old salt belt jeep. I'd say to keep an eye on it and be prepared to replace it when money becomes available. You can often find great deals on second hand parts here on the classifieds or find a jeep in the junkyard and grab it's control arms and hardware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.