Wont stay running after plenum repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wont stay running after plenum repair

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Wont stay running after plenum repair

So I got the new intake manifold in, everything hooked up, and when I first tried to start it, it wouldn't start. I turned the key and let the fuel pump prime a few times and let it crank to make sure it was getting fuel, and then it would only start if I gave it gas. Then one time I tried starting it again it started and ran on its own, somewhat smooth but still not 100%. I had the air hat and everything off and the IAC was making a wicked loud whistling noise. So I shut it down, put the air hat and everything back on cause I was gonna let it run and see if it could fix itself, and it wouldn't start. Took out the IAC, cleaned it, put it back in, and it would start and run if I gave it gas, not too smooth either.

While it was out, I did a distributor cap/rotor, and I know the plugs and wires are in the right order, the coil wire is getting spark, and I checked one spark plug wire, and it is also getting spark. I put in 24lb fuel injectors that were kind of dirty before I cleaned them up, they were sitting in a box somewhere at my bosses house before I got them, so idk if some of them would be clogged.

Any advice would be appreciated.

[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Try putting the stock injectors back in?
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Try putting the stock injectors back in?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

I didn't really want to, but since you suggested it, I did, and it worked, kind of. So THANK YOU!

It started right up, but its still not 100%. I have a code 27, which is:

Injector #3/2/2 Injector #3/2/1 output driver does not respond properly to the control signal.

Now I didn't let it run for all that long, should I take it for a drive and see if that fixes my problem?
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Holy **** im an idiot. I didn't even plug any of the pass. side ones in

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Yeah that'll do it. Those 4 that were firing were having to keep their dead cousins on the other side spinning along lol.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Yep, it runs fine now. I guess the bigger injectors made it run too rich. I wish I could use them, I spent 150 bucks on those things.

One thing I noticed, though, was that it does run hotter, or at least according to the temp gauge. I got a new temp sensor and temp switch/sender, so idk if the old one(s) were bad. Before the temp gauge stayed at about 180, now it fluctuates between 210 and 215/220. What do your engines run at?

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yep, it runs fine now. I guess the bigger injectors made it run too rich. I wish I could use them, I spent 150 bucks on those things.

One thing I noticed, though, was that it does run hotter, or at least according to the temp gauge. I got a new temp sensor and temp switch/sender, so idk if the old one(s) were bad. Before the temp gauge stayed at about 180, now it fluctuates between 210 and 215/220. What do your engines run at?
You drained the coolant and refilled right? Burp it and fill it more. You may have air in the system.
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713
I can't believe it ran at all!
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Could be the injectors were no good to begin with ?

Did you change the t-stat ? I get high temp readings from other such as Slant than I do with Mopar . Mopars run the coolest from my experience . I won't use anything but Mopar t-stats anymore .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post

Did you change the t-stat ? I get high temp readings from other such as Slant than I do with Mopar . Mopars run the coolest from my experience . I won't use anything but Mopar t-stats anymore .
Put an old sender back in and see if it goes back to what you were used to. If so at least you know there's no real problem.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You drained the coolant and refilled right? Burp it and fill it more. You may have air in the system.
I didn't flush it, no, but I did refill all the coolant that came out of it. I put more than half a gallon in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
I can't believe it ran at all!
Lol I'm as suprised as you are. To be honest it didn't run all that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post

Is there a way to test them? Or a way to clean them out? I reused the t-stat, its only a few months old, its a stant 180*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Put an old sender back in and see if it goes back to what you were used to. If so at least you know there's no real problem.
I will if I didn't throw them away, I hope I didn't. Idk if its because they're bwd, I know their stuff doesn't win any quality contests. It doesn't run any different than it did before, there's no pinging or anything, and I would assume there would be if it was running too hot.

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I didn't flush it, no, but I did refill all the coolant that came out of it. I put more than half a gallon in.

Lol I'm as suprised as you are. To be honest it didn't run all that bad.

Is there a way to test them? Or a way to clean them out? I reused the t-stat, its only a few months old, its a stant 180*.

I will if I didn't throw them away, I hope I didn't. Idk if its because they're bwd, I know their stuff doesn't win any quality contests. It doesn't run any different than it did before, there's no pinging or anything, and I would assume there would be if it was running too hot.

You do realize when you take the intake manifold off that coolant pours into the engine front the rear waterjackets right ? The front are blocked off on the manifold so they don't leak really the rear does tho.... I really hope you aren't running that thing with coolant in your oil.... you should have really drained the oil and put in some cheap $10 walmart oil run it for a bit and then drain it again and put your normal oil in and new filter..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
You do realize when you take the intake manifold off that coolant pours into the engine front the rear waterjackets right ? The front are blocked off on the manifold so they don't leak really the rear does tho.... I really hope you aren't running that thing with coolant in your oil.... you should have really drained the oil and put in some cheap $10 walmart oil run it for a bit and then drain it again and put your normal oil in and new filter..
I did change the oil, I put in some pennzoil 5-30 hm that I got for free from work. I was planning on changing it again before I go back to school the end of this month. Its the coolant system I didn't drain completely.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.