Won't start, out of ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Won't start, out of ideas

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 10-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Won't start, out of ideas

I went to go to the store and my jeep will not start, it ran the other day. It turns over just fine. Checked ignition by pulling a plug and have plenty of spark. checked the fuses, checked the fuel rail pressure and its 40psi with the key on and it wiggles between 35 and 45 when I try to start, but there is not even a sputter, it just turns over. Any ideas? 1995 ZJ 4.0 - Thanks!

oh, and no engine code error's either

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

After some more digging, timing chain? would it just go out after driving and parking it and it would not start back up? any way to easily check it? - Thanks!
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

A guy had a no-start issue yesterday, or earlier today. It ended up being a bad connection at the PCM. I think he wiggled the harness and got it started. Here's a link to a video showing where it's located on a '97 ZJ. It might help. Good luck.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Quite often the crank angle sensors go dead. Yours got a spark so that's probably not the case.

Check out these links regarding no-starts:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...l#post14536892
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
HEEP95
1995 ZJ 

Hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor while cranking it over. You probably have fouled out plugs. From time to time my ZJ likes to flood them out when I shut it off and it won't start. Hold the pedal to the floor while cranking and after a few seconds she fires over. If it doesn't work pull them out and clean them or replace them. If you use anything other than a copper plug in these it makes the problem worse. Platinum plugs equal nightmare.
Unread 10-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if the timing chain was broken it would just spin over with no compression and sound like a sewing machine.

if you have spark and fuel pressure and it doesnt sound like a sewing machine when you try to crank it, it may be the injectors are not firing. you can listen to the injectors with a stethoscope while someone is turning it over or get a noid light.

check the connection to the cam sensor in the distributor. if the sensor itself was bad, it should throw a code... but i wouldnt bet on it
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Thank you for your responses. I took the oil cap off and saw the lifters move so it's not the chain. I put a fuel pressure gage on the rail and while it cranks the needle moves so I assume the injectors are firing. I took a plug out and had plenty of spark. I'll check the cps but I would think even if the timing is off a little it would at least start and run rough. Thanks again and I will keep looking!
Unread Today, 06:18 AM   #8
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Its still dead but this is what I know so far, I have spark and fuel, and no engine codes. I unplugged the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and then the PCM threw errors so I assume they are working but I have not actually tested them yet. I know the timing chain is on because I removed the oil cap and watched the lifters move. Someone suggested the timing chain may of "jumped" Is that possible? It sounds like its firing late, it makes a noise like - raw-raw-raw-raw-thud-thud-raw-raw-raw-raw-thud-thud-.... and I think the thud-thud is two cylinders firing, but its late, fouled or something. Anyone have a timing chain jump or sensors pass the PCM and still not work right? Is that sound it is making a tell tale sound for something? Thanks!

Tags
ignition , pcm , start problems , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.