Won't shift out of 4 wheel drive! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Won't shift out of 4 wheel drive!

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
sideline4

Won't shift out of 4 wheel drive!

We have a 1999 Gran Cherokee 6 cyl. Wife will shift to 4 high whenever the roads are snowy or icy. The problem is that it will not return to 2 wheel drive when roads are dry. The only way we know it is still engaged is when I make a sharp turn on dry pavement you get that binding, hopping feel in the wheel. Took it to a local garage thinking it was a linkage problem, maybe a shift rod adjustment, but he said it was a cable shift and it may be stretched. We also put new tires ups front, with a 1/4" differance between the front & rear tire height. Could that be some of the problem. Is there any quick fix to this, or how can I dis-engage this when I need to. Just don't need any major expense this time of year.
Thanks for any help in advance.

sideline4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Granam73
1999 WJ 

Try backing up a little after shifting back into 2wd. That always worked for me.
Granam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
iamdurkee
1993 ZJ 

lol try waiting a week worked for me.
iamdurkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4x4-problem-646954/

some solutions to help you better can be found there. Good luck.
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
sideline4

Thanks for all your help....Will try them all!
sideline4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.