Wondering about my P0161 and what it effects - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wondering about my P0161 and what it effects

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
ef1992
2001 WJ 

Wondering about my P0161 and what it effects

www.wjjeeps.com says the following:

Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. O2 sensor voltage greater than 3 volts for 60 to 240 seconds.

What part of my Jeep is this effecting exactly? Put it in layman's terms please!

My CEL came on and I did the OBD and thats what I got.\

Unread 07-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The O2 sensor fine-tunes the fuel management system and keeps the emissions low. Keep in mind that the PCM does not use the sensor under the following conditions: cold engine, acceleration, or deceleration. It is basically used during constant speed. If it is bad your fuel economy will decrease.
The O2 sensor will not perform correctly unless it is hot. Therefore the engine must be at operating temperature before the PCM/ECU (computer uses it). The heater element helps to get it hot quicker which helps emissions. If the heater element, which is an integral part of the sensor, does not work (because it is broken) then the PCM stores a code.
Simply have it replaced with an OEM type only.
Oxygen sensors are probably the least reliable sensor on any vehicle. The volt output should ave around 0.45 volts

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
20jeepwj00
2000 WJ 

there is a pcm flash for 02 sensor heater failures,if your pcm has never been updated this will probably fix you problem.
20jeepwj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef1992 View Post
www.wjjeeps.com says the following:

Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. O2 sensor voltage greater than 3 volts for 60 to 240 seconds.

What part of my Jeep is this effecting exactly? Put it in layman's terms please!

My CEL came on and I did the OBD and thats what I got.\
Your 01 WJ has 4 oxygen sensors. The actual trouble code (format P0xxx) will tell which one has the faulty heater. Although greasefingers is corrrect, it is also true that the upstream sensors are somewhat more important for setting the mixture correctly. Your code refers to a downstream sensor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.