WK brilliant black better then clear coat black?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WK brilliant black better then clear coat black??

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-29-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
bkeast17

WK brilliant black better then clear coat black??

Hello, just saw on an eBay auction for a WK rocky mtn that was in brilliant black crystal that they state this new black does not show swirls and goes not get as dirty as the old clear coat black. I emailed them to ask why this was, their answer was

"Clear Coat paint has nothing to reflect light other than the clear coat itself. It shows the polishing swirls which are nearly unavoidable. And since black has the highest contrast, it shows these swirls more than any other color.

The Brilliant Black Crystal as well as any other Pearl Coat or Metallic Paint has something beneath the clear coat to reflect light. Therefore, it has depth. Because of this depth, swirls in the clear coat are not as noticable. There is no question that the Brilliant Black paint will look better for longer than the traditional Black Clear Coat. In fact, many of the high-end luxury makes now offer a similar black metallic paint including BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes."

Just wondering if someone on here with the brilliant black in the WK could comment on how hard/easy it is to keep the black clean and also any swirls in the paint that is so common on black cars?

Thanks a ton, Bill

bkeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm no paint expert, but I'm pretty sure that all factory paint jobs have a clear coat on top. There may be other layers of color or reflective material of some sort under the clear coat, but I think that everything has a clear coat.

Easy way to tell is to wax it...if you get the color of the car on your wax pad or wiping rag, then you've either worn through the clear coat or there is no clear coat to begin with. No color on the pad or rag, and there's a clear coat.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
HemimanNYC

Mines Brilliant Black...

About the same as my WJ...

I NEver send it through a carwash. I goto a great place in the Bronx - hand wash place - no machine wash blades - all guys with huge wash mitts. They charge 8 bucks. As long as you goto a hand wash or wash it yourself - you will aviod them darn swirl marks......

Former Vehicles
[B]2000 Jet Black JGC 4.7WJ Ltd. [/B]
Quadradrive I
Sidesteps/illuminated
K&N Air intake and Filter
265/75 Coopers

[B]1992 Black Wrangler Sport 4.0 [/B]
K&N filter & Intake /30' Coopers
600Watt Kicker Amp + 12'pyle SubWoofer
6 Sony Speakers
Sony faceplate (remember them?)
HemimanNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.