wj winch mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wj winch mount

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 06-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

wj winch mount

so i want to find a way to mount a winch up on top of the bumper on my wj but theres no options for us wj owners. there is however an options for zj owners that nobody appears to know about made by DETOURS USA. check it out at www.detoursusa.com . well i called there, because someone in my jeep club gave me the number, hes a got a pre-production piece on his kj. so i spoke to the guy over there at detours, Marc. apparently he says theres not enough interest for him to fab a wj piece. so, if anybody out there with a wj likes this piece and wants to see it go into production fire him off an email. i told him i'd loan him my wj to test fit and fab.

33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
kenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuck
so i want to find a way to mount a winch up on top of the bumper on my wj but theres no options for us wj owners. there is however an options for zj owners that nobody appears to know about made by DETOURS USA. check it out at www.detoursusa.com . well i called there, because someone in my jeep club gave me the number, hes a got a pre-production piece on his kj. so i spoke to the guy over there at detours, Marc. apparently he says theres not enough interest for him to fab a wj piece. so, if anybody out there with a wj likes this piece and wants to see it go into production fire him off an email. i told him i'd loan him my wj to test fit and fab.

you got pictures? or is just thing for the KJ?
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyLuxury
you got pictures? or is just thing for the KJ?

<-- dummy didnt clicky click before engaging mouth.. I like it, would be intrested to see what it would cost, where it would end up, and if it would be a problem like the ARBs for the 99s with the cooling system
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Not the first time this has been brought up here.
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

The most efficient and smartest choice is to get or have someone create a steel bumper for you.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

One way to get this would be to purchase the ZJ one and then modify the sleves to fit the WJ rails.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
The most efficient and smartest choice is to get or have someone create a steel bumper for you.
i dont want a steel bumper. if i wanted a steel bumper i would have bought a steel bumper from arb or trailready. i just wantto mount a winch and i dont want to use a reciever mount either.

adding more weight to the front than i have to doesnt seem too efficient to me.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
Unread 06-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

just curious, why no winch mount? It makes the winch removeable, so you look almost completely stock without it
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake
just curious, why no winch mount? It makes the winch removeable, so you look almost completely stock without it
because when you use a reciever mount its too low on the front and kills the approach angle. good way to smash it on some rocks or whatever else is below bumper level.

i'd like to keep it up above the bumper.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
Unread 06-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
madcabbie

Quote:
because when you use a reciever mount its too low on the front and kills the approach angle. good way to smash it on some rocks or whatever else is below bumper level.

i'd like to keep it up above the bumper.
Last time I checked, they came through the bumper, and mounted above the lowest part of the bumper...no killing the approach angle here...

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, [SIZE="4"]GOD[/SIZE] Kills a kitten.
madcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcabbie
Last time I checked, they came through the bumper, and mounted above the lowest part of the bumper...no killing the approach angle here...
last time i checked they came out right under where the license plate mounts. you're telling me something sticking out 10" from the lower part of the bumper isnt going to kill the approach angle? i'd like to see how that works.

anyway, the point of this post wasnt to get anyones opinion on approach angle, or their smartest and most efficient ideas.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
Unread 06-23-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcabbie

No, they definately kill approach angles when attatched. Most people leave them in while wheeling because it's too cumbersome to take out and put away whenever you need it. Also, sometimes you get stuck close enough to another rock and your left without enough room to put the thing into the reciever.

Too be honest, I might be interested if it came out looking nice and it was affordable; say 300 or less.

A guy named cebby on JU was designing a winch mount for behind the front bumper. Like the AEV WK mounted theirs. I like the idea alot, unfortunately it never panned out and I never heard anything else about it.
Unread 06-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #13
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quote:
last time i checked they came out right under where the license plate mounts. you're telling me something sticking out 10" from the lower part of the bumper isnt going to kill the approach angle? i'd like to see how that works.

anyway, the point of this post wasnt to get anyones opinion on approach angle, or their smartest and most efficient ideas.
Sure does stick out 10" and kill my approach angle....

You seem to have very little experience. When you get onto some harder trails, stuff where you might actually need a winch, you'll see when a steel bumper would come in handy. My front bumper is completely mangled and destroyed from getting rammed into rocks that it doesn't clear.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
madcabbie

Quote:

Look in the picture above...they come out through the bumper, I don't see how thats going to kill your approach angle as thats not sitting below the bumper. However, I didn't take into account you meant you with the Actual Winch Still attached. It seemed like you were saying just the Receiver mount. Which as shown above, doesn't look like it causes a problem. I was just offering a solution. I wasn't being sarcastic. Seriously, the last time i looked into them, i didn't remember them jutting out below the bumper line...So dont be an ***...

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, [SIZE="4"]GOD[/SIZE] Kills a kitten.
madcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
Sure does stick out 10" and kill my approach angle....

You seem to have very little experience. When you get onto some harder trails, stuff where you might actually need a winch, you'll see when a steel bumper would come in handy. My front bumper is completely mangled and destroyed from getting rammed into rocks that it doesn't clear.
you're telling me with a winch attatched to that it doesnt kill your approach angle?
and i have plenty of experience.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.