WJ transmission lag/slip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ transmission lag/slip

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
fizzer
1999 WJ 

WJ transmission lag/slip

So my 99 WJ 4.0L tranmission slips when shifting from 2nd-3rd. It only happens if im at rpms higher than three. if i keep it around two it dosent slip.Now just yesterday i noticed it slipping from 1st-2nd.should i get the fluids changed, not sure when its been done bought the car 3 months ago. some people said not to change it cuz it has high miles 99,000. should i use lucas, or rebuild it. What do you guys think is the problem and how can i fix it.

fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
cmonson

the theory behind NOT changing the fluid if it has never been changed is that the clutch discs use the dirty fluid to grab eachother.

I am a believer in just changing the fluids at regular intervals and NOT flushing.

saying that, pull the dipstick out and see if the fluid smells burnt.

It does sound like you may be in for a rebuild however. Nice part is that you can keep the RPM's down at shifts and you will probably be able to put on MANY more miles so that you can either find a used unit or reman whichever way you want to go.

99K miles is very premature for a tranny to go. Sounds like someone didn't take care of changing fluid/flter. For future refference it is a good idea to change it every 20K miles or even less.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
owenswj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Have the bands been adjusted? Have you thought about adjusting the TV cable. Mine did the same thing until I adjusted the TV cable. Do a search to learn how.
owenswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
fizzer
1999 WJ 

so i should check the tv cable, should i change the fluids or flush it or leave the fluid the way it is. also should i change the filter. some people said check the governor pressure sensor and solenoid what do you guys think of that. what other parts should i check to see if they are working proper.
fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
owenswj
2007 JK Wrangler 

If your fluid looks ok and doesn't smell burnt it may be ok. TV cable is a free fix for you to do first.
owenswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenswj View Post
If your fluid looks ok and doesn't smell burnt it may be ok. TV cable is a free fix for you to do first.
This more or less worked for me. My trans used to, at light throttle and low rpm, be unable to decide between first and second, and would rapidly try to switch back and forth until I gave it more throttle. I pulled out the TV cable all the way (love the way it shifts at lighter throttle now), but at a certain point in heavy throttle, it'll shift to second, then try to shift back to first but default to neutral and rev till I let off the throttle. So I guess it didn't solve the problem per say, but change it so that I encounter it far less often. Gonna roll with that for now, though.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.