WJ still overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ still overheating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
WJroadwarrior
1999 WJ 

not trying to be a smart *** but do you do a lot of wheeling in the mud or dirt roads..
i know i searched and searched for the problem with mine and i took a hose to it on day and about 20lbs of mud and dirt came out or the coils from where it built up over all teh wheeling trips... the running temp dropped almost 20 degrees...
just a thought

WJroadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00RedWJ View Post
I had the exact same problem. The fan was spinning but not fast enough to move air through the radiator and the car would overheat in traffic. Replaced the fan motor 2 years ago and the temp needle has never moved past dead center since. When the fan kicks on now you can feel the hot air being drawn through the radiator.

I believe these bad fan motors are drawing too much current and either frying the relays and burning up the plug that connects to the relay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wagon00 View Post
No not usally. It hasn't done that since I replaced the fan relay switch
I think what RedWJ said makes a lot of sense. The fan is probably working now, but not to it's full capacity. If you toast another fan relay, I would call this theory confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayzePDX89 View Post
Have we thought about pulling codes when it over heats yet? X2
Good idea, if the CEL is on. I don't know that anything of much use would come up for overheating.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

Good idea, if the CEL is on. I don't know that anything of much use would come up for overheating.[/QUOTE]

Cause that will at least give the the exact problem why your fan is not turning on...if its relays the code "P1491'' will pop up... So you can keep playing around and find the exact problem or you can make a simple mod and install a switch that gives you control of the fan rather then randomly looking down at your Temp and your WJ is overheating cause a relay went out again. I did the switch and have no issues and have posted a thread on how exactly I did it.
SwayzePDX89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
G-Wagon00
2000 WJ 

how do i check my codes?
Unread 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

If the fan relay os the problem yes, that would help. I guess I asumed the light was not on since it wasn't mentioned. If the light is on it's probably always a good place to start.

To check codes start with the key jn the off position and cycle the key between the off and on positions 3 times. The third time your in the on position leave it there and look in the odomotmer. It will display codes and then done. You can look the codes up at wjjeeps.com
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

Quote:
how do i check my codes?
go out to your car and put the key in the ignition flip the key till the gauges/miles turn on. Then what you wanna do is rapidly Tun the key

''On-off-On-off-On.

Your gauge will then go from telling your miles to reading out any codes that might be effecting your car. It will say done regardless if any codes or not pop up. So keep trying till it happens "its kinda tricky the first try." but if the code "P1491" then you know its not your fan its just the relay
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #22
G-Wagon00
2000 WJ 

Ok i just went out and did that like 10 times and it said done everytime
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Ok i just went out and did that like 10 times and it said done everytime
So...your fan IS working?
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #24
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Have you replaced the radiator cap? When you refilled the coolant, did you use pre-mixed or mix the coolant 50/50 with water? A bad/loose cap or too rich a coolant mixture will lower the boiling point of the coolant, causing the condition you are describing, per the FSM.
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #25
G-Wagon00
2000 WJ 

i can do that next. my winsheild also likes to fog up like all the time someone said that was another sign of heater core needing to be replaced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.