WJ starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ starting problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
ktplotts

WJ starting problem

I have a 02 WJ with the 6. 59k miles. When it has sat for a little while, at least 15 minutes or so, it takes about 6-8 seconds of cranking before it fires. If it hasn't been off for long it fires right up. Once on it runs just fine. I'm lost on what it could be, does anyone have any suggestions?

ktplotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
nierace
2003 WJ 

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed ?
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
ktplotts

not sure, i just bought it with 57k miles and now it has 59k. Thought i might do that and wires, but i was thinking if it was a spark problem, then wouldn't it be doing it every time i start?
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a problem with the anti drainback valve. When this goes bad, the fuel will drain down out of the fuel injectors & fuel rail assembly.

I'm not sure where its located on a WJ, but on a TJ, its part of the pump assembly in the tank.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
madcabbie

I had the same problem. Finally a code popped up after two months. I had a Evap Leak somewhere. That was in fact the problem.

Now how i tested this was before i turned on the jeep, i would prime the fuel pump by turning the jeep all the way on and all the way off a few times, and then see if it started right away.

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, [SIZE="4"]GOD[/SIZE] Kills a kitten.
madcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
ktplotts

whellin98tj - that is kinda what i was thinking, is there some way to test it?

madcabbie - so your saying if i primed it by turning it to on then off again a few times, and it starts, then it is a evap leak?

thanks for all the help,
-Kevin
Unread 08-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
madcabbie

Im not saying anything. Im an electrcian not a mechanic. I am just good at troubleshooting. So from what i know about the Evap System, and what was going on with my jeep, i came to the conclusion that the Evap leak was causing my hard start. Someone on here helped confirm it for me.

So i would say you could use my method to try and figure it out but it may not be true. But if it does work, i say take it to a mechanic and have them use a smoker to check for leaks.

Hell id look around for a Technical school like a BOCES or Highschool that has a automotive class and have them do it. They usually have the testing equipment and its good expeirence for them. Plus ITS FREE...they will fix it for free as well, but i suggest taking it to a real mechanic for that.

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, [SIZE="4"]GOD[/SIZE] Kills a kitten.
madcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktplotts
whellin98tj - that is kinda what i was thinking, is there some way to test it?...
There should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail. It will be underneath a cap that looks just like a tire valve stem cap.

Let it sit for a few hours and then push in that schrader valve. If gas does not squirt out, the anti drainback valve is shot.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
RTst

I just came online to research this problem a bit with my wifes Jeep she's having a hard time starting it too. Starts from the 2nd time every time. Pump was replaced under warranty with the old owners (I ran a full service history) and difficulty starting was listed.

I haven't tried to prime the car twice but sometimes after waiting a bit for the pressure to build up it does fire up a bit quicker.

This weekend hopefully I'm gonna test the fuel pressure a bit and that drainback valve sounds pretty possible because once the fuel pressure is built up it has no problem starting.
RTst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #10
ktplotts

well i let it sit for a while, and then pushed the tip of the vavle and no gas came out. I turned the key on/off couple of times, then rechecked and gas came out. Then i tried to start it in in fired right up. So what now, where is the vavle that stops the fuel from going back to the tank? On my brother's 91 YJ it looks like it is right on the end of the fuel rail. Not really sure what i'm looking for and i realize that his and mine are not exactly the same.

Again, thanks for the help.
-Kevin
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
RTst

Ok just got the TSB on that issue.. I'm not gonna post the whole thing, I could probably upload the .pdf file for you guys. Apparently one seal needs to be replaced before attempting anything else. A friend is gonna order the repair kit and it's $23CAN

Quote:
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the repair of the fuel pump module.

MODELS:
1999 -2001 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
2001 (WG) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A GASOLINE ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a longer than normal engine cranking time prior to engine start. This condition may be caused by fuel pressure loss due to a worn sealing ring within the fuel module.
NOTE: QUALITY ANALYSIS HAS REVEALED THAT A WORN SEALING RING IS THE PRIMARY REASON WHY THE FUEL MODULE IS REPLACED FOR FUEL PRESSURE LEAK DOWN. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE SEALING RING BE REPLACED BEFORE A FUEL MODULE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT IS ATTEMPTED.

DIAGNOSIS:
1 Start and run the engine. Verify normal fuel system pressure of 339 kPa +/-34 kPa (49.2 psi +/-5 psi).
2 Stop the engine. Verify that the fuel system pressure does not fall below 207 kPa (30 psi) in less than five (5) minutes.
3 If the fuel pressure does not fall below 207 kPa (30 psi) in less than five (5) minutes, then the long crank time may not be due to the fuel system. Further diagnosis must be made to the entire engine system.
4 If fuel pressure does fall below 207 kPa (30 psi) in less than five (5) minutes, then refer to TSB 14-05-99 for additional fuel system diagnostic assistance.
5 If diagnosis determines that the cause of the fuel system pressure loss is due to the fuel pump module, then inspect the fuel pump module part number label for its assembly

14-002-01 -2
build date code (Julian date). The part number label is affixed to the fuel pump module wire harness (pigtail), near the electrical connector to the body wire harness.
6. Inspect the bottom row of numbers on the fuel module label and locate the module build date code. Determine the date of build (Julian date) for the fuel module assembly. The first two numbers in the date code indicate the calendar year (1998 = 98, 1999 = 99, 2000 = 00, 2001 = 01), and the remaining three numbers in the code (1 to 365) represent the day of the calendar year (Fig. 1). etc.etc.etc.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Neven
RTst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
Simmons4102

I have the same problem on my 00 WJ. Priming the engine by turning the key a few times before cranking does help.
Simmons4102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Simmons4102

Found these 'Googling' hope they help. I got an extended warranty for my WJ when I bought it so Ima let them do it.

TSB#14-002-01 - Longer Than Normal Engine Crank Time Prior To Engine Start

TSB# 14-05-99 - Fuel System Pressure Diagnostic Procedures
Simmons4102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.