WJ rough idle, NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ rough idle, NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
LandingWJ
2002 WJ 

WJ rough idle, NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!

Jeep had a bout 2 1/2 gal in the tank and started idleing a little rough. Affter getting gas the jeep continued to idle rough and when the engine downshifted during accerleration it acted as though it wanted to stall. Let the jeep for multiple hours while at work and problem continued on way home. Check enigne light was already on for an emissions leak, however; once speeds in excess of 25 miles an hour were reached the check engine light began to flash intermintely. As speeds were decreased and engine returned to idle flashing stopped. Repeated problems entire ride home.

Once at the house, I put in park and reved engine the engine sputtered at around 2700 rpm. Restarted engine rough is still apparent though sputtering is no longer an issue while in park. No noise is apparent for engine bay, though a slight exhaust leak may be heard while standing beside vehicle.

Have not had an opportunity to attach OBDII to aquire engine codes as of yet.

Coworkers suggested fuel pump or filter, but I have run the tank dry before and never had a problem. All input would be welcomed.

LandingWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
LandingWJ
2002 WJ 

Also fuel pump and strainer were replaced a few months back while trouble shooting a problem that turned out to be a crank sensor.
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
LandingWJ
2002 WJ 

Engine ran fine this morning until It warmed up and I hit stop and go traffic. Now the problem is back.
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

have you checked the TPS = throttle position sensor or MAP sensor ?

Both of those would cause rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

def. pull that code and see what that problem is.
Built not Bought #170
My build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1295705/
FOR SALE: ZJ 231 bezel,
PM me if you need one.
Travis873o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
LandingWJ
2002 WJ 

just pulled the codes and they read out as follows:

1. P0122- TPS/ Pedal Position sensor A circuit low input

2. P0135- O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)

3. P0303- Cylinder 3 misfire detected

4. P0455- EVAP emission control leak (large)

5. P0442- EVAP emission control leak (small)

6. P0456- EVAP emission control system leak very small.

I would appreciate suggestions of where to start seeing as how I go on deployment in less than 2 weeks and have very little time to get the jeep running right before having to place in storage for months.
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

TPS and O2 can cause the rough idle and themselves may have tripped the #3 misfire...

Pull the O2's and see if they are plugged and you can test the TPS with a voltmeter.

Good luck

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Oh and BTW you probably want to get this fixed soon as a flashing CEL means there is something major that is wrong. I would start with the O2 sensors and the TPS and go from there as those two things can cause problems you have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.