WJ-Road Trip, skids, lightbar, V8 upgrades - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ-Road Trip, skids, lightbar, V8 upgrades

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Good god, You guys are writing novels at the top of this thread.

01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry...I tend to ramble on a bit
colgatefootball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, got an email into Kolak! Your plan sounds like what I will hopefully end up doing as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21484 View Post
if you PM Kolak, he can hook you up with some adjustable MX6 shocks for a good price. I've read great things and you can stiffen them up or soften them for your on road vs off road ride. A BB off ebay is fine, just get polyurethane spacers and they should last forever. Another on road improvement would be an Addco rear sway bar. For off roading, I would get the skids from mopar, if you plan on crawling over boulders then I would get a stronger Diff cover and/or rusty's, kevins, or IRO, skid plates. Also front tow hooks and capable straps are a must. I'm no good with lights so no comment there.
Before your trip, I would change/verify all fluids are up to spec, maybe pack a few extra bottles just in case. I would clean the throttle body & change your plugs like jeepheller98 said. You can go to the dealer and get Mopar CCC to do the throttle body and get the basic champion plugs from autozone, advance, etc. Have Fun!!!

Basically my Jeep is just like yours, '04 WJ stock, and all the above I listed is my plan for the summer. I've got 65Kish on the odometer
Unread 04-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
matt21484
2004 WJ 

Glad we were able to help, be sure to post how everything turns out as I'm interested to see how you like the shocks.
Blue Jeep Club Member #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlynd1978 View Post
Any one who tells me it "can fit" is the person i ask to find me some one more knowledgeable about what im looking for. I mean, diesel can fit in your gas tank, Trans fluid fits in your oil pan, fat women fit in your bed. Just cause it can doesnt mean you should.
matt21484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #20
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

roger, when I get it going Ill post up. Gotta finish up the Silverado in the next few weeks and deliver it to my dad, then Ill hopefully have my tax return by then and see what kind of combo deal Kolak can cook up for me!
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Believe it or not, on Kevins Off Road new site, it says there is a bumper mounted light bar for the WJ just like the ZJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.kevinsoffroadmanufacturin...roducts_id=797

Anyone got the inside scoop? any photos??? this could be exactly what Im looking for!!!! Cant seem to find a contact on the new site, page didnt load up right....is he a member on here?
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #22
getITdirty
1987 XJ Cherokee 

im planning on buyin that KOR front light bar tomorrow so if no one chimes in ill post pictures after its on
getITdirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #23
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet appreciate it! Im a few weeks out from ordering anything for the WJ, so maybe by the time you get it installed and test it out Ill have the inside scoop and photos. Are you getting just the bar, or with the 4 lights they have as an option? Im thinking if I do it Ill get just the bar, the lights look like they are pure off road (which is cool for wheeling, but wouldnt be street legal). Id like to mount a few IPF driving and PIAA fog on the front, for severe weather in mountain areas.

Do you have any other products from them on your WJ, and if so you give them the thumbs up? Their 2.75" lift looks like a pretty good deal, new coils, Bilstein shock option, all for a tad more than a budget boost with pucks. I hope I get a good tax return! The only thing they dont seem to have is a heavier duty skid plate.
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #24
getITdirty
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i got just the bar cause im gonna put some kcs on it, itll be for wheelin only (most of mine is done at night anyway)
and besides that my wj is stock performance wise even tho i have a RE 2.25 BB in my room and btw i ordered it just now (i had a "ahh F*** it" moment) and for the skip plate the mopar one is pretty good and is only like 51 bucks from the jeepership and for Kevins ive heard alotta good things about them
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #25
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

haha...I think alot of guys dealing with 4x4s get that same type of moment often....its addictive...
Unread 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
getITdirty
1987 XJ Cherokee 

yeah
and for an update im still waiting on that being shipped so as soon as its in ill bolt it up with some lights and post some links for everyone to click free me
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #27
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

anything yet with the light mounts??? really anxious to see it!
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #28
madrabbitt

This is going to be another one of those "reply after reading the first post only" things

1. Front lighting: Replace high beams with HIR bulbs. Replace low beams with some type of quality brand name replacements, or HIR bulbs as well.
I wouldnt shell out the money for the piaa 520's new, but if you can find some used, go for it, They're great lights, just not worth the premium price tag.
Instead of the black magics, i'd just use hella 500 or 700's with the new FF lenses, however, ditch the hella harness and go for something beefier.

2. KOR has a 4 tab light mount. I wanted it, but it isnt compatible with my existing push bar. It looks nice though, and probably meets your needs.
Another option, since you dont like the safari bar types, is the WAAG front runner style, or a brush guard that doesnt have the headlight loops.
WAAG's center guard unit, may be out of production, but its nice and low profile.

3. Tow hooks and most brush guards do NOT play well together. The safari bar styles are compatible, and KOR's light bar should work as well.
The Rusty's hooks are a more functional option then the OEM hooks, due to design. I've compared both, and I actually prefer the rusty's ones (dispite hating that company in general) Everyone *****es about cutting the air dam, you have an 04, its not applicable to you.
The OEM tow package is compatible with the single OEM rear hook. If you have an aftermarket hitch, it may or may not be compatible. However, get a hitch mounted hook or d-ring and you're good.

3.OEM skids are pretty good in most cases, but can be expensive or hard to find. Most aftermarket ones are pretty good as well.

4. A 1.5 inch BB, like the daystar, wont affect handling much. You can keep your OEM size tires that you just bought, and go a size larger next time.
A good rear swaybar (i'm putting in the addeco one) will improve handling, even with a spacer BB

5. If you want to spend the money on the bilstiens, go for it. Probably the best riding ones i've ever used. A very close second is the OME ones. I'm using OME on mine, as soon as I get some more cash, after the sway bar upgrade.

If you head thru NM, hit me up, and i'll give you my reccommendations, and if our paths meet, the first drink is on me.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #29
getITdirty
1987 XJ Cherokee 

nothin yet
im startin to get pissed that my money is gone haha but it should be in soon and as soon as i get it pictures will be up
front and rear hitch midland cb with 4' firestik(bright red) rancho heavy duty steering stab
"A greater punishment on me has been imposed" RIP Thomas
Unread 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #30
Buck89
2004 WJ 

I made my own bar that sits on the bumper. It's made out of 1" square tubing that I mounted 3 lights too. When I get home from work tonight I will try and post up some pics.

Here they are. Not the greatest but it was too dark when I got home. It just a section of 1" aluminum tubing that I bent to go with the bumper lines a little. Then I made the mounts out of some flat stock steel. The mounts slide in under the grill where the bottom plastic retaining clips are. I broke the clips when I took the grill off to paint it, but the mounts actually fit there perfectly now.

Last edited by Buck89; 05-07-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Buck89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.