WJ Projector/HID Retrofit: Teaser Thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Projector/HID Retrofit: Teaser Thread!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

WJ Projector/HID Retrofit: Teaser Thread!

Good evening! Some of you may flame me for only posting a teaser/half baked project, but I spent two hours on my retro tonight and was excited to show off my progress

I'm sure most of you realize that the Jeep headlights are terrible, but I wasn't about to just install a PNP kit ( ) and new my the best option was a proper projector retrofit with an HID kit!

First of all, much thanks to 99avant (Ben), for hooking me up with a pair of extra WJ headlights to drive around with while I built my new lights! I also scored a pair of BMW 5 series projectors from a friend! Ultimately, I will do a retrofit with some TSX/FX projectors, but for the time being this is my experiment to see how things go!

Here is what I've done so far:
1. Remove all bulbs, gaskets, or any misc rubber from headlights
2. Place headlights in oven at 225 degrees for 7 minutes (make sure you monitor them to avoid any unnecessary plastic melting). One of my headlights pried apart easily after 7 minutes, but the other one needed an extra 5 minutes or so in oven before it could be persuaded to open up w/o damage to the casing.
3. Once you get the front clear lens off, the chrome (or black if you are using laredo headlights) section will just pop right out.
4. Now the most difficult part so far! The reflector piece of the headlight is attached by 3 ball and socket joints. This allows the lights to be aimed. They must be carefully, yet forcefully removed. Be extra careful not to damage them.

Steps to still complete:
1. Figure out how exactly the projectors will be mounted to the current set up. Commonly people just hack up the reflector and JB weld the new projectors in. I want to avoid this at all cost because I want to be able to aim my headlights as you would stock.
2. Find a good bezel and shroud to cover the exposed part of the projector
3. Install HID kit
4. AIM headlights
5. Enjoy en-LIGHT-ened driving!!

Pics:
BMW 5-series projectors

YUMMMMM.... Jeep parts!

Headlights all taken apart (forgot to take a picture after removing the reflectors... oh well)

Questions, comments, or thoughts....??

-Nick

"A man who asks no questions, rarely has any answers"
UofOJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Strada

Nice and don´t forget to update your project with more pics
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
jeepin161
1993 ZJ 

ive been toying w/ this idea on my ZJ due to the fact that my headlights are horrible... and i haven't done much home-built stuff on it for a while ill deffinately be lurking to see how u go about it
HID Fogs, Flowmaster Super 44
jeepin161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Ive been toying with this idea for my WJ, keep updated dont leave us hanging!!! looks good so far!
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
99avant

Nice!
I wish I had the time and skill to do this, so I am glad the lights went to someone who does.

Are the projectors from a US Spec vehicle? For your final version, I would suggest getting your hands on some euro spec projectors. DOT regulations influenced automakers to slightly cloud us spec projectors. E-code projectors are much clearer and produce better output (While maintaining a proper cutoff).

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
99avant

Oh, and make sure you install the projectors right side up! The cutoff plate goes on the bottom, it is deceptive.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin161 View Post
ive been toying w/ this idea on my ZJ due to the fact that my headlights are horrible... and i haven't done much home-built stuff on it for a while ill deffinately be lurking to see how u go about it
My ZJ lights are terrible! I hope to retro some projectors into ZJ housings when I am done with these. Problem is, you need an extremely short projector cuz there is no room behind the headlight for the back of the projector to stick out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothanjeep View Post
Ive been toying with this idea for my WJ, keep updated dont leave us hanging!!! looks good so far!
I won't! These lights are going in my best friends jeep. Part of my motivation a for him, and part of my motivation is to help out all the jeep guys who have helped me solve so many of my personal jeep problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99avant View Post
Oh, and make sure you install the projectors right side up! The cutoff plate goes on the bottom, it is deceptive.
I was afraid of making this mistake so I put a little arrow on the projector with a sharpie!

I would have done some e-code projectors, but this is my first expirament retrofit. Any projector will be superior to a reflector housing, it just might not have the razor sharp cut off that all the hidplanet.com guys can get off too!!

Unread 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
jeepin161
1993 ZJ 

thats why god invented hole-saws
lol
HID Fogs, Flowmaster Super 44
jeepin161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
jeremy18
1999 WJ 

Any progress on the WJ lights?
4.7L V8,20x10 Wheels,33/12.50/R20 Nitto Muddgraplers,6.5" IRO Long Arm Kit,Flowmaster 50 SUV Series Exhaust,4 10" Memphis M3 Sub's In Slot and Port Box,2000 watt Memphis Bell Amp,300 Amp Alterantor,Memphis Amp Kit,5% Tint All The Way Around,Black Projector Lights,Black Projector Fog Lights
jeremy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Any progress?
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

Alright, one more attempt.

Bump.

And progress?
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Last Activity 02-24-2009

I'm going to bet he doesn't check this forum regularly.

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

I apologize for being MIA!

Finals and school have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to finish up the lights yet, but have made some progress. So far I dremeled out the center portion of the low beam projector and have began working on the actual projector mounting. I also need to test fit the housings in the jeep to check for clearance (the bowl - or back portion of the projector - sticks out of the back of the lights a bit) and then get the projectors permanently mounted!

I am home on spring break without the lights but I will do my best to get pics and more updates next week when I am back at school!

Unread 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

bump for progress pics!!!
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.