Wj power steering pressure hose leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wj power steering pressure hose leaking

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Neongirl4ever
2002 WJ 

Wj power steering pressure hose leaking

I have had a small leak for awhile. I cleaned up the motor with engine degreaser to see if i could find the leak. At first I thought it was the actual pump that was leaking. So i purchased a new pump and installed it. Leak of course came back and was ten times worse. Once again i cleaned everything up and checked again. Of course it had to be the high pressure hose. So i went down to the dealer. They told me that the hose is on National back order and they dont see this hose coming in till June. WTF? So I decided to stop by autozone, oreillys, advance, and Napa. Nobody carrys a aftermarket part for this. I went down to Custom Hose, a local shop, and even they cant help me. The only thing they said they are missing is that actual fitting that goes into the pump. I feel I have exhausted all of my resources. Does anyone have any idea on what I should do now. This jeep is my daily driver. I have no other car to borrow or anything. Im going thru a quart a day of power steering fluid. Its now been a week with this major leak and good thing I have a warranty on my new pump cause im about to blow this one!

Neongirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

maybe you can find a used hose. Look for someone parting out an entire jeep or check the junkyards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Ah, I had one I would have given you for free, I ended up giving it to another member, Sorry to hear ... I bought a new one for 30.00 from a local parts store.
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have one from a totaled WJ, PM me if you're interested.

Its a newer replacement part with not even 3k miles on it. Its still clean.

Part # is 5019708AD.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Neongirl4ever
2002 WJ 

Thanks for all the feed back. I will get back to you wheelin98tj if i need it. Im going to call a few other dealers and see what they say. Thanks though.
Neongirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
TyBauz
2000 WJ 

What tool for power steering pressure line?

I ordered a power steering pressure line hose but don't know how I am going to get the existing one off the pump. Has anyone done this? What tools will I need? I have tried vice grips but they slip. I can't seem to get a wrench on it either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
TyBauz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
jasn1981
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBauz View Post
I ordered a power steering pressure line hose but don't know how I am going to get the existing one off the pump. Has anyone done this? What tools will I need? I have tried vice grips but they slip. I can't seem to get a wrench on it either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I did mine about a month ago... Just took off the radiator upper hoze to get more room and used a cresent wrench for the top and bottom.
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

When I needed this hose, there were no auto parts stores in the Chicagoland area that sold them. Dealer only.

Where is it leaking exactly? The rubber? the fitting into the top of the pump?

How do the o-rings look?
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
TyBauz
2000 WJ 

Leak Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
When I needed this hose, there were no auto parts stores in the Chicagoland area that sold them. Dealer only.

Where is it leaking exactly? The rubber? the fitting into the top of the pump?

How do the o-rings look?
It is leaking at the hose at the top of the pump. I suspect a bad O ring inside the hose; therefore I am just replacing the entire hose anyway. You can order the hose from oreilly auto parts online. The part # is 92099 and it is $30.99. I added some extra stuff to get free shipping.
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
TyBauz
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn1981 View Post
I did mine about a month ago... Just took off the radiator upper hoze to get more room and used a cresent wrench for the top and bottom.
I will try that. Thank you!
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBauz View Post
It is leaking at the hose at the top of the pump. I suspect a bad O ring inside the hose; therefore I am just replacing the entire hose anyway. You can order the hose from oreilly auto parts online. The part # is 92099 and it is $30.99. I added some extra stuff to get free shipping.
That's not for the hydraulic fan that was factory starting 2001 with the 4.7.
#92099:
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO (1999 - 2000)
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED (1999 - 2000)
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
tjude

2000 WJ power steering hose

Thanks for these notes. I have a 2000 WJ 4.0 six. Hose is leaking and I just bought a replacement at O'Reilly. Managed to get the top nut off easily' but can't seem to be able to get at the lower. I can get the crescent wrench around the nut, but there's only a few degrees I can use. Even if I cut the hose and use a ratchet, I still need to get the new hose on.

Tried to remove the air box, but I can't see more than two bolts. Removing it might give me more room.

Any guidance? I'm going to see if I can get a line wrench tomorrow, but I can't see that it will be any better.

Thanks.
tjude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
JeepNewb1

Lower connect or leak

So I replaced the high pressure power steering hose and it was kind of a pain in the ars to get the threads threaded. When I finally got everything together and it seemed fine for about a week and started to lose fuid. I think it is leaking where the hose snaps into the bottom fitting at the fan. Is there a trick to snap the hose into the fitting? It seems in there tight but I haven't gone under to see if its leaking. Could it be a tone of air? I put 2 quarts of mopar power stearing fluid it. While I had it apart I turned the steering lock to lock until no more fluid came out. How many quarts does it take if it is mostly drained?
JeepNewb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.