WJ Power Steering Fluid Radiator Enhancement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Power Steering Fluid Radiator Enhancement

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
nedsud

WJ Power Steering Fluid Radiator Enhancement

Last Summer when on a trail ride and after ascending a rock slide, my power steering hose blewout. It over heated from the rock action. since it blew out again so I replaced the hose again. I looked at the stock fluid radiator and it is tiny and not in the flow of air.

I have been thinking about adding a larger radiator for the power steering.

Has anyone done this?

Ned
http://jeepgrandcherokeelimited.blogspot.com/ for jeep WJ pics

Last edited by nedsud; 06-08-2006 at 09:18 PM..
nedsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Iím not sure that I follow you. Are you interested in a bigger radiator, if so then get a three row rad. But it almost sounds like you are interested in a power steering fluid heat exchanger?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
nedsud

on my wj, there is this small radiator about 3 inches wide and 9 inches tall. it is connected to the power steering fluid line. it exists in front of the radiator, but off to the side. the way it is positioned, it looks like there is little air flow going through it. so i was going to replace it with a 10 x 10 or something like that. is this clear?
Unread 06-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Is it stock for WJs to have a power steering cooler, or is this something that you added?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 06-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
nedsud

I dont know. I did not add it. I am not the orginal owner.
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I guess I need to look more closely but on mine, I assumed that was the tranny fluid cooler.

I had a similar thing happen to my PS hose while towing the heavy old boat. The hose popped off & sprayed the header putting out a huge cloud of thick white smoke. (Great show for traffic.)

The pressure had just caused the hose to pop off the fitting. Did your hose actually rupture?

Anyway, I had a bottle of fluid nearby and a screw-type SS hose clamp and was on my way.

If your hose ruptured, I'm going to get some braided stuff soon for mine.

Are you certain it's the PS system's fluid cooler you're looking at?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Yea power steering coolers are not that common (usually an add-on). He probably is looking at his external tranny cooler, which comes with the towing package.

Unread 06-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The tranny cooler for WJs are built into the engine coolant radiator. Power steering fluid radiator is a small separate unit.
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Every automatic transmission has a tranny cooler built into the radiator. If one sees an external cooler mounted in front of the A/C condenser, then 99.86 % of the time it is a second externally mounted tranny cooler. These external mounted tranny coolers are almost always supplied with towing packages.

If in doubt, follow the lines.

Unread 06-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
nedsud

I have followed the lines and this small cooler is about 4 inches wide and 7 inches tall and connects to the power steering.
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

pics pics pics pics

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #12
Handed

It probably is a power steering cooler

Also for those of you in the know, the tow package comes with an external tranny cooler and not a power steering cooler, is that correct...although the power steering cooler definelty would help.
Unread 06-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure about WJs but ZJ has no external power steering coolers. I've seen some folks add external tranny cooler to power steering system as a mod though
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #14
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Don't know about WJ's (other than it stands for Woosie Jeep)
However, perhaps this bit of ZJ tech can be modified to work for you.
On the 5.2 liter ZJ, the transmission cooler is mounted on the passenger side in front of the radiator. On the 4.0 Liter ZJ, the transmission cooler is mounted on the driver's side in front of the radiator. The two units have different numbers because of the way they are plumbed. It is a fairly easy and common mod to get a 4.0 cooler and adapt it to the power steering unit, significantly decreasing PS fluid temperature.

HTH

BTW, just kidding about the woosie part...
Unread 06-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am still trying to figure out why a power steering pump cooler would ever be needed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.