WJ: IRO Long Arms - Caster vs Pinion Angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ: IRO Long Arms - Caster vs Pinion Angle

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
doublejz
2004 WJ 

WJ: IRO Long Arms - Caster vs Pinion Angle

Ok, so I got my IRO front LAs on and went for an alignment. The alignment tech called me into the shop and told me the most he could do is a 0.2 caster. I explained the caster adjustment bracket to him and he rotated it a little and said it was making it negative caster. So he put it back to ~0 and said that's the best he could do.

So this is how the bracket looked when he was done.

So I just came in from rotating the axle to point the pinion down. I may be wrong but with less pinion angle you get more caster, correct? So if the pinion is pointing straight out, I'll have more caster then when it's pointing at the tcase?

So this is what its looking like now.

I may have went a little too far but I'm tempted to go back and tell them to check the caster now. Just a little confused why he told me when he rotated the axle for the pinion to point down, it gave me neg caster..

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
WJ04
2004 WJ 

When I did my 4'' critical path I just handed the alignment shop the recomended specs from IRO. After they were done they said every thing was perfect.

Quote:
:IRO
Professional front end alignment is required after installation.
We recommend the following alignment settings:
Caster: +3.75 to +6.0 (+4.5 is preferred)
Toe-in: +.20 degrees (+1/16 to +1/8 measured at the tire)
I'm not sure if its different with the high clearence arms but here is where mine is set with the regular LA's, and yes I know I need a new bushing at the diff lol:

2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.

Last edited by WJ04; 08-02-2009 at 02:26 PM..
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

I don't think the tech knows what he's talking about. 0.2* caster makes no sense. You have a multiple double cardan front shaft, so why not just tell them to set your caster to stock spec and be done with it? That's the whole purpose of running that shaft; to have stock caster regardless of pinion angle.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.