Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WJ: IRO Long Arms - Caster vs Pinion Angle

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  skain8 
#1 ·
Ok, so I got my IRO front LAs on and went for an alignment. The alignment tech called me into the shop and told me the most he could do is a 0.2° caster. I explained the caster adjustment bracket to him and he rotated it a little and said it was making it negative caster. So he put it back to ~0° and said that's the best he could do.

So this is how the bracket looked when he was done.

So I just came in from rotating the axle to point the pinion down. I may be wrong but with less pinion angle you get more caster, correct? So if the pinion is pointing straight out, I'll have more caster then when it's pointing at the tcase?

So this is what its looking like now.

I may have went a little too far but I'm tempted to go back and tell them to check the caster now. Just a little confused why he told me when he rotated the axle for the pinion to point down, it gave me neg caster..

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
When I did my 4'' critical path I just handed the alignment shop the recomended specs from IRO. After they were done they said every thing was perfect.

:IRO
Professional front end alignment is required after installation.
We recommend the following alignment settings:
Caster: +3.75 to +6.0 (+4.5 is preferred)
Toe-in: +.20 degrees (+1/16" to +1/8" measured at the tire)
I'm not sure if its different with the high clearence arms but here is where mine is set with the regular LA's, and yes I know I need a new bushing at the diff lol:

#3 ·
I don't think the tech knows what he's talking about. 0.2* caster makes no sense. You have a multiple double cardan front shaft, so why not just tell them to set your caster to stock spec and be done with it? That's the whole purpose of running that shaft; to have stock caster regardless of pinion angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.