WJ:Installing 4 in lift, only one jack? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ:Installing 4 in lift, only one jack?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
northpaw
1999 WJ 

WJ:Installing 4 in lift, only one jack?

Hey, I am figuring how to change my suspension. I need some tips from
someone who has done this before. Is it possible to use one high lift jack and change only one spring and shock on one side at a time? Or do you really have
to get the whole front/back end up and lower the whole axle to be able to do the swap?

4 Hella 320, 4 Boch Big Knick, JULA Roof rack, 245/75/16 General Grabber AT2, IRO 4 inch Lift kit
northpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

If you have some jackstands, sure it will work.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
KDog223
2001 WJ 

I would not trust a highlift for doing work like that. Make an investment into a decent floor jack and a couple of jack stands. FWIW I had to really put some weight on my axles (espc. the front) to get the old springs and BB out and to get the new 4" springs in. I might change a tire with a high lift but that's about it.
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
northpaw
1999 WJ 

Well, maybe my definition of a high lift jack was not clear, what i meant was of course a floor jack that lifts high.
So, conclusion: I need to lift the whole front/back end? And how high? would the height of 50 cm (1,5ft) jack stands suffice? or do i need even more?

4 Hella 320, 4 Boch Big Knick, JULA Roof rack, 245/75/16 General Grabber AT2, IRO 4 inch Lift kit
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northpaw View Post
Hey, I am figuring how to change my suspension. I need some tips from
someone who has done this before. Is it possible to use one high lift jack and change only one spring and shock on one side at a time? Or do you really have
to get the whole front/back end up and lower the whole axle to be able to do the swap?
I guess it could be done but for safety reasons you should really support the vehicle on jack stands, then use a floor jack to support the axle / drop it left and right to do each side. Using a floor jack to lift the right side of the axle makes the right side drop more and visa versa. It makes it alot easier to lift the vehicle as high as needed to get the maximum droop out of your axle. Disconnecting your track bar, sway bars, and shocks lets the axle droop as much as your control arms will allow for the most part. A coil spring compressor will probably be needed for 4" lift springs. Do it right and safe man! Get some jack stands and a floor jack, they're never a bad investment!

Edit: By the time I replied, others beat me. Didn't mean to sound repetitive.

'02 WJ | 4.7HO | Limited | QDII | 3.5" Lift (BB+OME Springs) | JKS TB | JKS Quick Disco's | JKS BPE's | RC Nitro 9000's | Rusty's SS | K&N FIPK | 40 Series Delta | Cat-Delete |

Coming soon: 31" KM2's | 15x8 Cragar V-5's

Nightcrew #236 | Blue Jeep Club #232

"those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"
UrbanOffRoad124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
northpaw
1999 WJ 

well ok, i got a couple of spring compressors but I cannot find any heavy duty that can compress them more than 2-3 inch, wich is practically nothing in this case

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Well, maybe my definition of a high lift jack was not clear, what i meant was of course a floor jack that lifts high.
So, conclusion: I need to lift the whole front/back end? And how high? would the height of 50 cm (1,5ft) jack stands suffice? or do i need even more?
I would imagine that would be high enough. You'll have your wheels off so you can let the axle droop down until your brakes get close to the ground. I don't have any special jack stands. I have a nice Craftsman floor jack, and some 3 ton jack stands but I'm not sure how high they go. They go high enough for everything I've installed so far.

'02 WJ | 4.7HO | Limited | QDII | 3.5" Lift (BB+OME Springs) | JKS TB | JKS Quick Disco's | JKS BPE's | RC Nitro 9000's | Rusty's SS | K&N FIPK | 40 Series Delta | Cat-Delete |

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
northpaw
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanOffRoad124 View Post
I would imagine that would be high enough. You'll have your wheels off so you can let the axle droop down until your brakes get close to the ground. I don't have any special jack stands. I have a nice Craftsman floor jack, and some 3 ton jack stands but I'm not sure how high they go. They go high enough for everything I've installed so far.
Thanks, that info actually helps a lot

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

Quote:
well ok, i got a couple of spring compressors but I cannot find any heavy duty that can compress them more than 2-3 inch, wich is practically nothing in this case
You can usually rent strut or coil spring compressors from most parts stores. Always use the saftey clamps. Once you get those springs compressed, they're a grenade ready to go off.

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
northpaw
1999 WJ 

Quote:
You can usually rent strut or coil spring compressors from most parts stores. Always use the saftey clamps. Once you get those springs compressed, they're a grenade ready to go off.

Maybe in USa you could do that, not in sweden, here you need to buy, and I havent found any better things than these:

Unread 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Quote:
A coil spring compressor will probably be needed for 4" lift springs.
Nope, I didn't need one. Just loosen everything and push down as hard as you can on the axle and it'll go in.

Edit: I said push but actually I sat on the caliper to get all my weight on it Another pair of hands would have helped too.
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
northpaw
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDog223 View Post
Nope, I didn't need one. Just loosen everything and push down as hard as you can on the axle and it'll go in.

Thanks, and then use the jack to push the axle back?

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks, and then use the jack to push the axle back?
Not really, once the new spring is in place the axle is pretty much where it's going to be (minus the weight of the vehicle on it). I think on the second side I actually used ratchet straps as a mock-spring compressor just to get that extra ~1/2" of clearance but I think having someone else there to push down on the axle while I fit the spring would have worked too.
Unread 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

I used a spring compressor when I put mine in. I was doing the whole job alone so maybe that played a factor. I used two jack stands, a bottle jack, and the jack that comes with the Jeep. (did my install 3-4 months ago)
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up

Last edited by BlackShuck; 09-22-2009 at 07:10 PM..
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

I used spring compressor, 2 jack stands, and a floor jack. You can get by without spring compressors, but you may have to disconnect the LCA's. Taking the sway bar links off will also help getting the axle to droop and/or lift enough to pop the springs out.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.