WJ guys. Power steering fluid info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ guys. Power steering fluid info

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

WJ guys. Power steering fluid info

Did you guys find any alternative fluid for MS5931 for WJs? Or it still is dealer only item? any info out there?

zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
raygoodson2006
2002 WJ 

i put ATF+4 in mine,purchased right from autozone
raygoodson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
z rated

atf+4 from dealer (well thats what they gave me)

95 z28 red 396ci lt1, 3600 stall, 3:91 12bolt, prostars w/ slicks and skinnys. mid 11s on muscle last year, currently under a new heart transplant
z rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

I don't understand why people still look for an alternative to the correct fluid, I am not saying the pump will die instantly but I have seen a pump that was using PS fluid get cleaned out and filled with ATF go bad in a short time. The correct fluid is Mopar power steering fluid. There was a TSB out about the incorrect use of fluids... The new fluid is better for all aspects of the pump. If you have a dealer that says ATF+4 is the correct fluid you might want to tell him to go back to school.. Seriously the fluid is what $7.95 and is designed for it, they don't even recomend topping off with ATF, if you do you should flush and fill.. There are people that have used other products, and bad things have happened.. Again my question, what are you looking for, a cheaper one, a better one, which I would think twice, this stuff is great and will ensure a very long life, I have had one box go for 103k miles, one for 60k and one for 15k, wanna guess which one I used ATF in

Not trying to hammer anyone, but the only reason I can find for a replacement is availability in a random store, I carry a quart offroad, but will not put anything other than OEM in there.. I have used the valvoline stuff once in a bind, that was the pump with the short life..

The factory fill power steering fluid for most 2004 model year Chrysler Group vehicles is
ATF+4 (MS9602) and it provides superior performance at both low and high temperatures.
WJ/WG and ZH vehicles use unique power steering fluids. Refer to the table to identify
factory fill and the approved service power steering fluid by year and model. Note that
MS9602 is Red in color and MS5931 and MS9933 are Amber/Yellow in color. All three fluids
will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

WJ 1999 - 2004 MS5931
Unread 04-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

I've been using normal PS fluid from the local autoparts store for years - the first pump lasted 200k miles but I blew it up (trust me - it wasn't the pumps fault). The one I have now is doing fine at about 10-15k miles.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
z rated

ok well maybe the steelership that i went to was trying to save me money,
besides the guy that gave atf+4 to me was the parts and service manager that has been there for 25+ years, so telling him to go back to school is a joke. and i know him very well so i would say that he would not lead me down the wrong path. lol

****, when i was doing my diff fluids and t-case fluids and told him that i was towing he gave me the correct stuff too and showed me which gear fluid was for front and back diffs (they were diffrent weights)

95 z28 red 396ci lt1, 3600 stall, 3:91 12bolt, prostars w/ slicks and skinnys. mid 11s on muscle last year, currently under a new heart transplant
z rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
doggboy

Just about any PS fluid meets the MS5931 spec anymore. Look on the back of the bottle and it will tell you if it is compatible. I keep some cheapy Pyrol fluid in the jeep for emergencies, but Valvoline syn power fluid is what I run, great stuff.

Z-rated-For your axles you should only have two different weight oils if you do not tow. If you tow it should be 75-140 synthetic front and back, if you are using the 80-90, you might want to change it out.
doggboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
Just about any PS fluid meets the MS5931 spec anymore. Look on the back of the bottle and it will tell you if it is compatible. I keep some cheapy Pyrol fluid in the jeep for emergencies, but Valvoline syn power fluid is what I run, great stuff.

Z-rated-For your axles you should only have two different weight oils if you do not tow. If you tow it should be 75-140 synthetic front and back, if you are using the 80-90, you might want to change it out.
What will running 80-90 harm?
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

For certain fluids that may meet the requirments, which I have no doubt of, I still will go with an OEM fluid if the price is not proohibitive, in DC's case read friggin stupid... But yes lot's of fluids will meet the needs for many apps, I see no reason to stray when DC is the one tha put in all the research, heck, DC soesn't make the fluid someone else does it for them..
As for one thing, when DC does put out a TSB or the like saying that a given fluid is
NOT applicable, as in do NOT use ATF anymore, I like to err on the safe side..

On another note sometimes it goes the other way, like the fact that ATF 4 now goes in almost every tcase, well that just make it easier to carry less crap..

As for the gear oil, someone recently pointed out that almost everything points to the Diffs using 75-140 in both, no matter what, syn in the rear if you tow, although oddly I am finding it hard to locate anything but syn in that weight around here.. However, I have seen that the front recomended is 80-90 in a few places and always assumed that was the correct fluid, guess it doesn't matter..

IF you use the 80-90 in both, no real harm will come of it, down here we change our fluids so often, monthly most times, that we just use what is in the bulk barrels, 80-90w usually... I personally use 80-140w but it makes very little diffeence. If your rig is mostly street the shockload difference and weights, will not matter that much.. old schoolers will laugh at people that bug out over the difference, these guys will put it in there without a thought, and 99% of the time nothing will go wrong.. I am picky and like 75-140 in a syn. but it isn't worth it $$ wise to change out syn every wet wheeling trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.