WJ: Gas Tank Raise...Couple Q's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ: Gas Tank Raise...Couple Q's

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

WJ: Gas Tank Raise...Couple Q's

I'm in the middle of this project and have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answered in some previous writeups.

1) Is body panel adhesive strong enough to use for the piece that covers the old spare tire well? I'm running flux-core wire in my welder (Lincoln-180T) and am not very optimistic about trying to stitch weld the 1/8" plate to the thin sheetmetal in the back of the WJ.

2) How much clearance should there be between the tail pipe and the gas tank? I had to cut out the heat shield that was in place to get the gas tank up high enough. Now I'm worried that it might be too close to the plastic. I sure as hell don't want it to end up melting!

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Just got back from talking with a guy at the body shop. He recommended a product called Fusor. Its a body panel adhesive and he said it'd be just as strong as welding. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it works. The good part about it is it bonds and seals, so that eliminates the need to run a bead of RTV or something around the panel.

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...0/Default.aspx

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
dmolaver15
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
I'm in the middle of this project and have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answered in some previous writeups.

1) Is body panel adhesive strong enough to use for the piece that covers the old spare tire well? I'm running flux-core wire in my welder (Lincoln-180T) and am not very optimistic about trying to stitch weld the 1/8" plate to the thin sheetmetal in the back of the WJ.

2) How much clearance should there be between the tail pipe and the gas tank? I had to cut out the heat shield that was in place to get the gas tank up high enough. Now I'm worried that it might be too close to the plastic. I sure as hell don't want it to end up melting!
i used flux core when i welded mine all back up, and it's held up fine since then

not sure about the clearance on the gas tank and tail pipe though, mine dumps before the rear tire
i'd say maybe 4 or 5 inches to be safe, but you could just use the old heat shield and bend it around to make another shield
Super 44 with 3" Side Dump
Dana 44a, 4.56's

My Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/evolution-my-wj-623825/
dmolaver15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

uuum flux core can do anything if you weld it well enough.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolaver15 View Post
i used flux core when i welded mine all back up, and it's held up fine since then

not sure about the clearance on the gas tank and tail pipe though, mine dumps before the rear tire
i'd say maybe 4 or 5 inches to be safe, but you could just use the old heat shield and bend it around to make another shield
Were you using a 110v or 220v welder? Right now current clearance is less than 1" between the tail pipe and skid. I guess I'll have to cut a section of the pipe out and reweld it to move it over as far as possible.

Quadra, flux core burns hotter than gas shielded solid core. It would be fairly easy to weld it in using .025 solid core wire and gas, but I don't have a regulator yet (been waiting on if for over 4 weeks). My concern was with the FC I'd blow through the sheetmetal and make more holes.

Unread 07-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Just move faster with a tighter arc. But if you will have a working solid core welder soon then I would use that.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
dmolaver15
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
Were you using a 110v or 220v welder? Right now current clearance is less than 1" between the tail pipe and skid. I guess I'll have to cut a section of the pipe out and reweld it to move it over as far as possible.

Quadra, flux core burns hotter than gas shielded solid core. It would be fairly easy to weld it in using .025 solid core wire and gas, but I don't have a regulator yet (been waiting on if for over 4 weeks). My concern was with the FC I'd blow through the sheetmetal and make more holes.
i only used a 110v, 220 would probably burn right through
Super 44 with 3" Side Dump
Dana 44a, 4.56's

My Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623825
dmolaver15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

My 220, on the lowest setting, acts similar to a plasma cutter when it comes to sheet metal. It kinda-sorta works but a 110 would be much preferred.
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I got it finished up yesterday. Ended up using the Fusor body panel glue on the new floor panel. Man that stuff stinks! I followed along the lines of AgitatedPancake and his writeup & pictures were very helpful. I picked up a piece of 3/16" sheet and will make a skid next.

Arlo, I tried practicing on a small piece of the sheetmetal that I'd cut out and I don't think you could have described it any better.

Unread 07-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Pics:

Unread 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Looks great. You can't even tell its there anymore from the rear. Time to swap that D35 out of there. lol

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Beautiful man, yours came out exactly like mine did! Glad I could help ya out!

*EDIT* The only bummer about yours is the no fuel pump opening, I would hate to not have it =P
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.