WJ Front Axle Ujoint Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Front Axle Ujoint Conversion

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

View Poll Results: How cheap do they need to be?
$800 current kit price 0 0%
$700 to $799 0 0%
$600 to $699 0 0%
$500 to $599 1 8.33%
$400 to $499 8 66.67%
not interested regardless of price 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
tsconver
2003 WJ 

WJ Front Axle Ujoint Conversion

What price would it take to make a ujoint upgrade for the front axles of a WJ worthwhile. I know someone that can make them and wanted to see what price people would buy them at?

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Not interested regardless. I know quadratokn has beat the crap out of his jeep and hasn't broken a CV in the 2 years or so that he's wheeled it, even with 33's.

The cromo shafts put the weak spot at the R&P and if you're spending that much on shafts, you might as well just do a d44 or hp d44 axle swap.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
baxy

the replacement CV shafts are cheap enough that you could but 3 or 4 sets for the price of ujoint conversion
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Not interested regardless. I know quadratokn has beat the crap out of his jeep and hasn't broken a CV in the 2 years or so that he's wheeled it, even with 33's.

The cromo shafts put the weak spot at the R&P and if you're spending that much on shafts, you might as well just do a d44 or hp d44 axle swap.
I have to disagree here. QT has wheeled his jeep hard, but he is not running a locker in his D30. If you want to lock the D30 and run +32" tires, the chromos are a good investment IMO. If you use stock TJ/XJ outers instead of chromo outers, it leaves the outer as your "fuse". I agree that you don't want the R&P as your weak link, but really, how often is a D30 R&P broken? I busted everything in my front axle but the R&P (shafts, spider gears & lock-rite).

I paid ~$550 for my chromos and they were worth every penny. I was so sick of changing CV shafts literally every time I put it in 4wd.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
I have to disagree here. QT has wheeled his jeep hard, but he is not running a locker in his D30. If you want to lock the D30 and run +32" tires, the chromos are a good investment IMO. If you use stock TJ/XJ outers instead of chromo outers, it leaves the outer as your "fuse". I agree that you don't want the R&P as your weak link, but really, how often is a D30 R&P broken? I busted everything in my front axle but the R&P (shafts, spider gears & lock-rite).

I paid ~$550 for my chromos and they were worth every penny. I was so sick of changing CV shafts literally every time I put it in 4wd.
If I do want something to break though, I'd muuuuch rather it be the shaft than the pinion. If you're running 33"+ tires, you would really benefit from a locker and you'd want an axle that could hold up to that tire size.

How'd you break all that in your d30?
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I just selected the lowest price. I wish Jeep at least randomly put u-joints in the WJ like they did the ZJ.

Quote:

Does the Trutrac in my D30 really put that much less stress on the axle vs a locker? I mean, if it doesnt lock up when im climbing a rock face, I keep trying and tap the brakes 'till I make it.

On the trail I am constantly conscious about not having my wheels turned all the way when in a sticky or low traction situation. Thats when the CVs fail. Damn CV's.

Then again I only wheel it hard once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
If I do want something to break though, I'd muuuuch rather it be the shaft than the pinion. If you're running 33"+ tires, you would really benefit from a locker and you'd want an axle that could hold up to that tire size.

How'd you break all that in your d30?
I think we can all agree on the upgraded front axle thing. If you wheel hard at all, the D30 is quite puny.

Seriously though, $500+ at least for shafts? Put that $ towards an axle swap!!
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

That truetrac does actually put a lot less stress on your axle shafts. With a locker its capable to deliver 100% torque to either axle shaft in a low traction situation. That also means if something binds, there's no alternate pathway for the force, which leads to the broken shaft. With the TT, there is never 100% true lock up so that excess stress, which caused the snapped shaft with the locker, can simply go to the tire with less traction causing it to spin.

The main reason I see a market/need for WJ D30 chromos is due to the ABS & speed signal. If you swap out the rear axle, you loose ABS (not a big deal IMO). Its easy enough to rewire & pick up the front ABS tone ring signal for the speedo and computer. But if you swap out both F&R axles, now you have to find another method of picking up a speed signal. The WJ's computer needs some form of speed signal input for the engine to run correctly. I know a few people swapped in 231's from XJ's or TJ's and wired in the speed signal output from the tail cone.

So with the chromo swap you get the capability to run ~35" tires with a locker while keeping the stock tone ring signal.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
wjcando
1999 WJ 

Quote:
That truetrac does actually put a lot less stress on your axle shafts. With a locker its capable to deliver 100% torque to either axle shaft in a low traction situation. That also means if something binds, there's no alternate pathway for the force, which leads to the broken shaft. With the TT, there is never 100% true lock up so that excess stress, which caused the snapped shaft with the locker, can simply go to the tire with less traction causing it to spin.

The main reason I see a market/need for WJ D30 chromos is due to the ABS & speed signal. If you swap out the rear axle, you loose ABS (not a big deal IMO). Its easy enough to rewire & pick up the front ABS tone ring signal for the speedo and computer. But if you swap out both F&R axles, now you have to find another method of picking up a speed signal. The WJ's computer needs some form of speed signal input for the engine to run correctly. I know a few people swapped in 231's from XJ's or TJ's and wired in the speed signal output from the tail cone.

So with the chromo swap you get the capability to run ~35" tires with a locker while keeping the stock tone ring signal.
so, you have a vendor lined up who might be interested in doing this?
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:

good to know.

FYI the WJ only needs 1 out of the 4 ABS sensors in order for the speedometer to work. At one time, all 4 of my ABS sensors were broken. I replaced just one of the front ones and it worked. When that one fried, I replaced just one of the rear ones and the speedo worked.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcando View Post
so, you have a vendor lined up who might be interested in doing this?
i have some one who says he can do it and cheaper than 8 bills. I may play guinea pig for him.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
nierace
2003 WJ 

I picked up my spare shafts for about 70 bucks, I ran 33's for a while and never broke a shaft though I only went on 5 or 6 trips a year and am pretty good about when to hit it and let off, however I'm open. Another guy in our club had same setup with a front locker on 33's and he never broke a shaft either.

I'm a much bigger fan of breaking a shaft then breaking the R&P. I know h3resq never broke a R&P with his cromos when he was killing stock shafts every trip, but I still would rather not chance it.

The CV's actually do better when you have the wheel turned over the u-joints...

And yes, I am alive.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
wjcando
1999 WJ 

I'm ready for u joint axle shafts. Had a great day and a half at Rausch Creek on dark blues and blacks. Then on a nothing rock, turned too far to passenger while giving a little gas. Pow!

Was well prepared for the trail repair, but now it's time to get rid of the cv axle shafts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.