WJ double cardan rear driveshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ double cardan rear driveshaft?

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 10-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

WJ double cardan rear driveshaft?

Is it true that the 2004 model year laredo was the only wj year that they used a double cardan rear driveshaft, or is this false cuz that would really help when considering a 4-6" teraflex lift since its such an extreame driveline angle.

67jeepstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

No, the 2004 WJ didn't have a rear DC DS...

And I would suggest looking elsewhere besides teraflex for a 4-6" lift (I assume you are looking at their old long arm lift).

Check out
-Clayton Offroad Manufacturing or...
-Iron Rock Offroad

Both make a better long arm kit.
Unread 10-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

yeah i was. but i didnt know it was old. im currently installing a 2"BB from skyjacker but in the future i wanted to put on the long arm. i just see teraflex splattered all over the internet thats why i thought them. why do you have a better manufacturer? and then i guess my question is...what is the rubber boot on the driveshaft right out of the transfere case? any help with lift kits would be greatly helpfull.
Unread 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

I looked into that Iron Rock Offroad site and that was very helpful i was looking at the 3" but it didnt come with a transfere case drop kit. is that something not needed till 4"? otherwise i might wait and save some money and get the 3" instead of the skyjacker 2" BB. what do you think
Unread 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
gearhead998
2004 WJ 

I would definatly save your pennies for the 3". I like springs instead of blocks. I am planning on a 4" IRO on my wife's WJ in the spring.
gearhead998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Without getting into too much on the details on Teraflex, their main fault is that they keep the stock upper CA's which causes bad geometry with the pinion angle.

The rubber boot on the driveshaft coming out of the TC is actually on the transfer case, not the drive shaft. It just protects the splines of the transfercase output shaft and has grease under it. You can pull it back and look at it.

A TC drop isn't really necessary even at 6" if you get your pinion angles set up properly. I am at 6" and have on super minor vibration that I just havent' bothered to eliminate...

FWIW (For What Its Worth) Claytons is the bomb! It is more expensive, and requires more modifications, but it can't be beat offroad IMHO.
Unread 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

gearhead:

read this too!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314066
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
67jeepstang
2004 WJ 

well i think i made up my mind. im going with the 3" IRO whenever i get the money and at least i no longer have to worry about the TC drop kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.