WJ door latch fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ door latch fix

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
gpJeep
1999 WJ 

WJ door latch fix

I just replaced the door latch in my wj

but I was wondering what makes trhem go bad and start buzzing?

Can the old latches be taken apart and repaired >?

has anyone done that ?

maybe a small winter project ...

thoughts ?

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
Bob D.

I assume you're talking about the lock actuator/motor.
I've never taken one apart, but I think it's the gears that strip.
Got a source for new gears? That's probably why no one attempts to repair them.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I'm an idiot let me just get that out of the way.

I had a rear passenger door start buzzing when the automatic door lock engages. I took out my trusty service manual and decided that I would just find the wire to the door lock, cut it and do the repair later.

First I cut the wrong wire and did not re-connect it, then I cut the right wire and I thought I was all set, so I just closed the door and was all done...right?

nope. Now the door is permanently locked and the manual door lock does not slide to the unlock position. Something is blocking it from unlocking and...as you can imagine, the door is not opening. I figure there's a common, well known reason for the buzzing & it's probably the same thing yall had.

First, does anyone know if it's also possible to take apart enough of the door while closed to get it open, then...what part am I going to neeed to fix the original problem? Next, am I going to have the same issue with the other 3 doors?

I looked at wjjeeps for info on this but did not see anything. Did I miss it?

Thanks in advance. If there's no info on it here I guess I'm gonna neeed to study the manual for this one...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Bob D.

Disconnecting the actuator should not have any effect on the manual lock switch.
I can't imagine how they would be related, but did you try to reconnect the wrong wire that was cut?
How about just trying to unlock it with the key in the door lock?
Not sure how far you would get trying to pull the door panel with the door closed - you need somewhere to pry the trim from the door, and the front of it is flush with the dash.
Unread 04-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Ummm lessee....

I had a rear passenger door start buzzing....

First I cut the wrong wire and did not re-connect it

Thanks anyway, I'll study the manual....
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
dunno513

I had a problem where the driver door wouldn't unlock all the time via the remote, but after being unlocked it wouln't restick until it sat for a few hours. Finally got tired of it and investigated it.

Found that the door lock mechanisms RUST. They really need attention before they get so bad that silicone, or grease won't help anymore. It was a relatively painless operation, the hardest part was getting all the release rods all reconnected and safety clips alligned correctly.

If you start to feel a less than smooth pop as the door opens, then you too have latches that need attention. We had one replaced under warranty , but for the aggrivation, it is just easier to do it myself as they show problems.
dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
dunno513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
I'm an idiot let me just get that out of the way.

I had a rear passenger door start buzzing when the automatic door lock engages. I took out my trusty service manual and decided that I would just find the wire to the door lock, cut it and do the repair later.

First I cut the wrong wire and did not re-connect it, then I cut the right wire and I thought I was all set, so I just closed the door and was all done...right?

nope. Now the door is permanently locked and the manual door lock does not slide to the unlock position. Something is blocking it from unlocking and...as you can imagine, the door is not opening. I figure there's a common, well known reason for the buzzing & it's probably the same thing yall had.

First, does anyone know if it's also possible to take apart enough of the door while closed to get it open, then...what part am I going to neeed to fix the original problem? Next, am I going to have the same issue with the other 3 doors?

I looked at wjjeeps for info on this but did not see anything. Did I miss it?

Thanks in advance. If there's no info on it here I guess I'm gonna neeed to study the manual for this one...
sounds like the child locks were activated.. good luck with that dilemma.. probably need a slim jim to tackle it
Unread 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Bob D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
Ummm lessee....

I had a rear passenger door start buzzing....

First I cut the wrong wire and did not re-connect it

Thanks anyway, I'll study the manual....
Not sure what the point of that post is...

Quote:
sounds like the child locks were activated.. good luck with that dilemma.. probably need a slim jim to tackle it
Child door locks can only be manual activated on a WJ, and if that was the case the door can be opened from the outside.
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
dunno513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D.
Not sure what the point of that post is...

Child door locks can only be manual activated on a WJ, and if that was the case the door can be opened from the outside.

not if the doorlock can't be unlocked electrically.. lol.. oops.. forgot that part of the dilemma eh?
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
gpJeep
1999 WJ 

I paid 100 bucks for a new rear door latch and then
using the 1000 screw bit end set I got from princess auto found the
right bit torx 45 ? to take out the side door screw

after that 15 ,imutes and I had the new latch in there on the 3 torx screws and all is well ,
but now to fix that evil latch

a guy from auto club with a flat bar could probably open your fixated door

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.