WJ Coil specs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Coil specs

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

WJ Coil specs

I was at the junkyard last week on business, and saw a wrecked WJ. I went over and inspected it to see if there was anything I could use off of it. First thing I noticed were the springs. The springs looked quite abit taller, with more coils then my springs (6cyl-4wd). However, I didn't notice anything different about the trac-bar, pitman arm, sway bar links etc. It did have white tubed shocks.

What are the specs of the stock I6/V8 springs (overall unloaded length, coil numbers)

I couldn't tell if they were stock or not being the vehicle had no wheels/tires, and had the engine/transmission/transfer case pulled.

2004 4.0L w/242 WJ - Front tow points, Rear D Shackel, 3"/2.5" lift, 245/75 Falken ATs, Sway Bar delete, Overland Sliders, T-Case Skid, Hella 500's, Halved Bumper, Custom Rad.Core Skid, Soft 8's, MV50 OBA, Hi-lift/lift mate, shovel, (1st)On-Board Cooler, OME S.S., Rola Basket.....more soon
Blkdvll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Could have just been a 2-2.5" coil lift. Its the more expensive way of doing a budget boost with poly spacers.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

If the spring on that WJ wrapped around more times than yours, then they are probably aftermarket springs. OME 2" springs, for example, would not warrant changing the track bar or sway bar links, or anything else. The white shocks are also aftermarket, so it sounds like someone put on a 1.5" or 2" spring lift and changed the shocks. See how much the junkyard wants for them, maybe you can get some really cheap lift.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Just went to the yard and measured 2 different Jeeps.

Jeep 1 - '01 Limited. No Engine/Transmission/T-case. Stock suspension
Jeep 2 - '99 Laredo. No Engine/Transmission/T-case. Unknown suspension

Measurements:
Jeep 1. Front Springs 13" tall. 7 1/2" sway bar link (top of bottom nut to middle of top nut). 9" rear springs
Jeep 2. Front Springs 15" tall. 7 1/2" sway bar link (top of bottom nut to middle of top nut.) 10" rear springs with 1" spacer.

I noticed that Jeep 2 did have a aftermarket track bar. Appeared to be thicker and more defined curves then Jeep 1.

Going back this afternoon and picking up the front springs for $55. I would call that a win. If I end up with a wobble from too much lift, I can go back and get the track bar for $40
2004 4.0L w/242 WJ - Front tow points, Rear D Shackel, 3"/2.5" lift, 245/75 Falken ATs, Sway Bar delete, Overland Sliders, T-Case Skid, Hella 500's, Halved Bumper, Custom Rad.Core Skid, Soft 8's, MV50 OBA, Hi-lift/lift mate, shovel, (1st)On-Board Cooler, OME S.S., Rola Basket.....more soon
Blkdvll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkdvll View Post
Just went to the yard and measured 2 different Jeeps.

Jeep 1 - '01 Limited. No Engine/Transmission/T-case. Stock suspension
Jeep 2 - '99 Laredo. No Engine/Transmission/T-case. Unknown suspension

Measurements:
Jeep 1. Front Springs 13" tall. 7 1/2" sway bar link (top of bottom nut to middle of top nut). 9" rear springs
Jeep 2. Front Springs 15" tall. 7 1/2" sway bar link (top of bottom nut to middle of top nut.) 10" rear springs with 1" spacer.

I noticed that Jeep 2 did have a aftermarket track bar. Appeared to be thicker and more defined curves then Jeep 1.

Going back this afternoon and picking up the front springs for $55. I would call that a win. If I end up with a wobble from too much lift, I can go back and get the track bar for $40
Just save yourself the headache and get the track bar while you're already there. The track bar isn't for preventing wobble anyway, it's for centering the axle under the Jeep to correct the alignment and prevent your tires from rubbing on turns due to being too close to suspension components. If the junked Jeep has the track bar on it with those springs, odds are very good you're going to need it as well.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.