WJ Click Noise Making Me Nuts!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Click Noise Making Me Nuts!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

WJ Click Noise Making Me Nuts!!

OK this chain of events is kind of long, bear with me...

1. 1999 Grand Cherokee WJ I6 Selec-Trac. 6 weeks ago noticed CV boot split, cleaned joints and changed both boots. Noticed bad wheel bearing while doing CV job. Nonetheless, finished CV job and put vehicle back together and ordered new hub/bearing.

2. While waiting for bearing to arrive noticed gear oil leak from passenger side axle. Apparently messed up seal while removing or installing axles. Now, I have two jobs, wheel bearing and axle seals.

3. Received bearings and seals and proceeded to perform installation. Things went quite smooth.

4. Gear oil leak had stopped but immediately started noticing click/pop during tight turning especially slow speed - seemed like classic CV joint symptoms.

5. Purchased rebuilt CV joints and performed installation. Also pulled differential carrier just to see if I had possibly messed someting up in the gearcase. Performed service, noise still there.

6. Decided to take vehicle to alignment shop for alignment and front end inspection (even though I'd already gone over it with a fine tooth comb). Shop noticed occasional click but couldn't locate source - told me not to worry.

7. Just got back from 1500 mile road trip, no problems on the road but click still there.

8. Deciced to take closer look today. I had my son turn wheels while I inspected underneath. Now, the vehicle will only make the noise under certain conditions. One of these is after straghtening wheels after sharp left turn. So, I would take a left into my driveway, crawl underneath and have my son straghten the wheels until it clicked. Though I may be wrong, it seemed like the noise was coming from within the gearcase. So, did I do something wrong when changing the axle seals. I'd never ventured this deep into an axle before, so maybe I missed some critical "trick". Anyway, here's how I changed the seals:

1. Drained axle fluid.
2. Removed wheels, calipers, caliper brackets/anchors, hub/bearings
3. Pulled CV axle assemblies.
4. Removed bearing cap screws.
5. Removed bearding caps making sure to keep the left with left and right with right.
6. Gently pried out differential assembly. Kept bearing races with respective sides.
7. Installed Seals with large socket and long pipe.
8. Gently tapped differential carrier back into gear housing.
9. Torqued bearing caps to 45 ft/lbs.
10. Performed reverse of 1 -3 to complete job.

Now, my main question is did I miss some critical step when reinstalling the differential? I assumed that all lash between gears would be unaffected since no hard parts were being replaced - as long as I put things back together the same way they came apart I'd be OK - right? So, typical shimming procedures were omitted and the front axle is very quiet now so I assume the play beween gears is correct. Or is there something else I'm missing. I've gone over much of the front end with a fine tooth comb and this thing is still kicking my behind. Any advice, suggestions or support during this difficult time would be greatly appreciated.

MG

McGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

All looks good on what you did.Are you caliper bolts on bubba tight?Or how about that damn clip that holds on the shoes?Kinda funky looking is that on.I have been known to forget to put that back on once
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrubio
All looks good on what you did.Are you caliper bolts on bubba tight?Or how about that damn clip that holds on the shoes?Kinda funky looking is that on.I have been known to forget to put that back on once
rrubio, thanks for the input. However, I've been down the brake road several times now to no avail. I was so determined to get things tight I even stripped one of the caliper pins which I have since replaced. Ohterwise brakes are in great shape, just did the fronts with new rotors and ceramic pads this spring. I swear it sounds like it's coming from inside the gear case. But the second time I removed the carrier for inspection, everything looked fine - clean as a whistle, no metal, fluid nice and clean. Maybe I'm way off on a wrong tangent. What am I missing here???
Unread 08-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Just a thougt have you tried running it in 2WD instead of 4fulltime?I may be way off base but its worth a try.By putting in 2wd it will relieve some of the tension in the diff or vice-versa.
Unread 08-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Another thing which im sure you did right but you never know.When you installed the axels shafts did you put them in the side.They are a slight diference in them,length wise.
Unread 08-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

rrubio, I've run both 2wd and 4wd - noise is there either way. The axles are significantly different in length it would require significant controlled substances to get them switched. Even if your perception was this distorted, you would eventually realize something was wrong as you struggled to get the long axle in the short side. Nonetheless, thanks for the continued support and suggestions.
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a couple months of near insanity due to my clunking front end, I finally fixed it today. It was the lower ball joints. I guess dropping the suspension to service the CVs and wheel bearing must have caused a marginal ball joint to start clunking. Anyway, replaced all four today and it's finally fixed. If you read through my lengthy previous post you'll notice I paid to have a professional inspection and alignment. The service center said everything was fine.... IDIOTS!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.