WJ: Cheapest shocks for 4" lift, What OEM Monroe shocks fit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ: Cheapest shocks for 4" lift, What OEM Monroe shocks fit?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

WJ: Cheapest shocks for 4" lift, What OEM Monroe shocks fit?

Very budget build.

I need something very basic, and preferably stiff.

I like the way Monroe shocks ride, and wanted to know what shocks can be modified to work in the WJ, or what other cheap shock there is out there.

If anyone knows anyone selling used stuff, please direct me that way and I'll kick you back something.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Black Diamonds People are going to say the cheapest Buy you get what u pay for.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I've been messing around with a YJ lately, and they have very long front shocks compared to XJs and ZJs. If you really want to buy Monroe, maybe front shocks to fit a YJ will be about what you need? You can press the bar pin into the new shocks from your old ones. Do WJs use bar pins?

Otherwise, scroll through the Monroe catalog until you find shocks with the specs you want. I'd start by looking for shocks with the correct ends, and then finding the longest ones that will fit when your suspension is fully compressed. Good hunting!

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/docume...engthSheet.pdf
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaTheZJ View Post
I've been messing around with a YJ lately, and they have very long front shocks compared to XJs and ZJs. If you really want to buy Monroe, maybe front shocks to fit a YJ will be about what you need? You can press the bar pin into the new shocks from your old ones. Do WJs use bar pins?

Otherwise, scroll through the Monroe catalog until you find shocks with the specs you want. I'd start by looking for shocks with the correct ends, and then finding the longest ones that will fit when your suspension is fully compressed. Good hunting!

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/docume...engthSheet.pdf
yes they use bar pins worthless pos's
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Actually, I've been searching that sheet relentlessly, and have come across two possible options.

Also, WJ and XJ have the same OEM shocks. For the front, at least.

2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

If you have searched relentlessly and found nothing, it's time to widen your search. You can easily modify the bottom ends of many shocks to take the bar pin, as you'd have to do for YJ shocks. I've done it recently, where I used a vice to press out the bar pins from my stock shocks and then install them in different shocks.

You can also install sleeves to shrink the bores in shock ends, or remove sleeves etc. If you get creative, you'll find a lot of options.

Have you improved your suspension in any way? If not, it's likely not the shocks that are limiting droop! It is probably the lower control arms, so you can't really use the full travel of a 4" longer shock! Typically, the factory shock is maybe 1/2" to 1" shorter than enough droop to bind the LCAs.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

The two shocks that I found have to be modified using WJ bushings.

They're the closest ones that I think I can mount.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.