WJ Burning threw ELE-FAN RELAY'S!!! HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Burning threw ELE-FAN RELAY'S!!! HELP!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

WJ Burning threw ELE-FAN RELAY'S!!! HELP!

I have a 03 WJ and randomly my check engine light came on. Checked the codes "P1491" and said it was the electric fan relay So i replaced it...and engine light turned off and Fan turned on. Then 3 miles down the Road Engine light turns on...and Fan is not working. Someone please tell me whats going wrong here. THANKS!

SwayzePDX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

maybe you need a new fan as well
Unread 07-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEinSoCal View Post
maybe you need a new fan as well
yeah i am Semi getting frusterated since the relays are a pricey 49.99 a pop. So i might take it back to the dealer and ask them to take a look at it. I was just curious if there is somthing i am doing wrong.
Unread 07-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

supposedly some have said that the placement and location of the fan relay is not ideal because it doesn't seem to get enough cooling, thus leading to lots of relay failures. i went through 3 in about year, until i completely replaced my fan with a custom fan using bosch relays in a better location
Unread 07-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

Quote:
supposedly some have said that the placement and location of the fan relay is not ideal because it doesn't seem to get enough cooling, thus leading to lots of relay failures. i went through 3 in about year, until i completely replaced my fan with a custom fan using bosch relays in a better location
Where did you Re-mount your relay.
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayzePDX89 View Post
Where did you Re-mount your relay.
in the engine bay, up high on the firewall towards the passenger side. keep in mind, its not the same relay either. at least these relays are cheaper too!
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

Quote:
in the engine bay, up high on the firewall towards the passenger side. keep in mind, its not the same relay either. at least these relays are cheaper too!
Well i have only had the jeep for a 6 days and bought the car from a Toyota Dealership....you think i should take it back to the dealership and hassle them to fix it themselves or should i move on and start asking you what are the parts number for your fan and relays lol
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayzePDX89 View Post
Well i have only had the jeep for a 6 days and bought the car from a Toyota Dealership....you think i should take it back to the dealership and hassle them to fix it themselves or should i move on and start asking you what are the parts number for your fan and relays lol
Dealership first. Raise hell and they'll probably fix it.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Dealership first. Raise hell and they'll probably fix it.
x2 i did that before i even found jeep forum my check engine light came on the day after i bought it NT went up there raised hell my power mirrors didnt work ethier i got those fixed free also
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

thanks guys...ill be up early tomorrow and put my game face on and see what i can do...ill let you guys know how it turns out...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.