wj 6" springs and shocks. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wj 6" springs and shocks.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
4x4jeepcrew
2004 WJ 

wj 6" springs and shocks.

which 6" springs should i get for my WJ. claytons or ironrock. and which shock MX-6 or Bilstien?

4x4jeepcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I'm running the 6.5" Ironrocks and extended travel DT8000s and it's a pretty nice combo with the long arms
crazyflex.jpg  

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

IMO, at that height, you want the highest spring rate available to combat body roll. Check the rates from Clayton vs IRO.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

I would go with Claytons - they're outstanding in terms of ride quality and handling. No sagging either as they are specifically wound for the WJ.

As for shocks, you want a monotube shock to control the mass and inertia of all the unsprung weight properly. I'd personally suggest Bilstein in this instance in order to get as much shock travel as possible.

PM me if you'd like pricing -
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

I was told by the guys at Clayton, that the front springs have a rate of 175 lbs, and the rear has a rate of 225 lbs. In my opinion, the rears are too stiff. Plus, the front end sat about 1" lower than the back (which is how they are from the factory). They said that the reason the rears are stiffer is to have extra load capacity for cargo and towing. I am not sure what the exact weight bias is, but i know its a lot more in the front, than the rear. I think the rate of the front is pretty good. Really smooth over bumps, but the rear doesn't move as much as it should, which annoys me. It doesn't feel balanced at all. When i go over a speed bump, the front is hardly noticed, and the back jumps around. Since i am setting my dub up for higher speed stuff as well, i will probably end up going down in spring rate on the rear once i get my Fox shocks tuned and installed. I am a lot more picky than your average guy because i design and test racing suspensions for a living. If i didn't know better, i would say the claytons are pretty good.

Now, when i added my winch and bumper on the front, i had to add 2" spacers to the front end, and now it sits perfectly level. Ride feels basically the same. The bumper is 112 lbs, and winch is around 65 lbs or something, if i remember correctly. So that would make sense on the 175 lb rating.. being pretty close to lowering it 1" with an extra 177 lbs i added.

I was told by another jeep guy that clayton has supplied 4" TJ springs which are softer for the rear of the WJ, and has a more balanced feeling. But that is just hear say.. not sure if true.

I don't have any expirence with the IRO coils, so i can't comment on them.

G-
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
normes
2000 WJ 

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/27430

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...uct_Code=12071
These are the links to the springs I have Anthony. Mine gc rides decent for being 5.5 inches in the back on short arms. And it sits level you've seen it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.