WJ 30,000 mile maintenance - who done it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ 30,000 mile maintenance - who done it?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 02-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
DrEvil

WJ 30,000 mile maintenance - who done it?

I hit the 30k mark in my 03 limited. I did my normal 3000 mile oil change, but noticed in the maintenance guide it suggests replacing the plugs and draining and refilling the transfer case (for Quadra-Trac models). I have 2 questions - first of all, I have QuadraTrac II - was there another transfer case just called QuadraTrac? In other words, do I need to change my transfer case fluid?

Secondly, what did the dealer charge for the 30000 service for those of you who had it done?

DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

30K service

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil
I hit the 30k mark in my 03 limited. I did my normal 3000 mile oil change, but noticed in the maintenance guide it suggests replacing the plugs and draining and refilling the transfer case (for Quadra-Trac models). I have 2 questions - first of all, I have QuadraTrac II - was there another transfer case just called QuadraTrac? In other words, do I need to change my transfer case fluid?

Secondly, what did the dealer charge for the 30000 service for those of you who had it done?
This maintenance schedule is probably standard for all Jeep models.A jiffy lube can do the drain and refill for you.its no big deal
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
cherokee04
2005 WK 

I changed the fluid in my Quadra-Trac II transfer case this weekend -- only took a few minutes, other than the time I let it sit an drain all the fluid out of it. I picked up a 10m allen wrench socket from sears, and both the fill and drain plugs came out easily.

By the looks of the fuild that drained out my tranfer case, I'd say you need to change it at 30K miles -- I was surprised how dark that fluid was. I'm glad it has clean fluid in there.
cherokee04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
DrEvil

So it sounds like I should change my transfer case fluid and I can do it myself. That's conforting. What about the spark plugs?
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
cherokee04
2005 WK 

You will find changing the tranfer case fluid very easy -- just make sure you pick up a pump to pump the fluid into the case -- it is much easier than trying to get a funnel to pour it in the fill hole. You'll find the pump useful when you change the differential fluid, too.

The spark plugs are also easy to change -- there is a whole thread on changing them. Just make sure you have the right plugs for your engine, and make sure they are correctly gapped. When removing the old one, make sure you identify which plug wires go to which plug, so you don't screw up the firing order, and make sure the area is cleaned around them so no garbage falls into the cylinder when you pull out the plug.
Unread 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

If you've never done this kind of work before,or just don't feel comfortable doing it take it to a garage.A stripped plug hole can put a kink in your weekend!
Unread 02-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
laphan

I thinks its a good idea to change transmission fluid and filter and axle fluid. I'm assuming you never replace any fluid since you got it new (there might be metal flakes on your fluid from gears and clutches from new unit got broken in).

Last edited by laphan; 02-21-2005 at 12:00 AM..
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
cherokee04
2005 WK 

I was amazed at the junk attached to the magnet on the rear differential plate when I pulled that off. It took a while to get all that stuff off, and out from under the magnet -- I used an air hose to blow it out and get it good and clean. The fill plug magnet on the front differential had a few shavings, but nothing like the rear axle.

But, when I changed the two transmision filters, I didn't see anything on the pan as I had expected.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.