WJ 242 TC not releasing from 4x4 mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ 242 TC not releasing from 4x4 mode

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

WJ 242 TC not releasing from 4x4 mode

I've never had a problem before this, but last night I had to go into 4 wheel mode for the first time in a long time - and the 242 transfer case wouldn't release me back to 2WD mode. I tried backing up, changing while moving, everything I did before. It will change from 4Lo to Part-time, to full-time...but that last selection before 2WD...it's not releasing. It's 32 and wet today, but I'm about to crawl underneath and check out the linkage. Maybe something is worn and not allowing the lever to push the TC selector far enough to disengage. If not that, I'm going to have to pull the front DS til I figure it out. Would this be a sign the 242 is dying? I'm jumping the gun. Will post more once I crawl underneath...

Offering technical and touring support for FLH models only

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

1st thing -- check your linkage. Report back the results.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Okay, linkage looks fine. The connection is tight (and taught) with no play in it whatsoever. I had lifted the front axle to provide more maneuverability. When I set it back down and went to drive it and test settings again - it was in normal 2WD mode. Hmmm. Took it around the block checking this and that. 4Lo, Neutral and 4 Full-Time and seem to work fine and change according to where the selector is. It still seemed to hold that last setting (4 Part-Time) just before the 2WD selection.

I pulled it into the driveway, then on a hunch - tested to make sure it was still stuck in 4x4 mode, the got out and lifted the front. As soon as the first tire came off the ground and rotated a little relieve the stress of working against the other 3 tires, I went around and rotated both front tires by hand. Damn. So it's not the linkage, the linkage it getting the t-case where it needs to be, but the axle are binding and not releasing/allowing the drivetrain to return to 2WD mode.

Any ideas? Oh, I've been testing on pavement and the concrete driveway. The closest area I can check it offroad (anywhere to have all 4 tires on ground rather than street) is along the side of the highway. Guess that's where I'll be going next. Be right back...

Unread 12-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
neoncrazy101
1995 ZJ 

Good luck. If all fails, just keep it in 4-full.
neoncrazy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

One of the Other Jeep sites there was a thing about how the shift fork on the 242 over time would stick

What they said was while driving then put the jeep in GEAR N then shift to 2wd Blip the gas and put it back in drive.

my stayed in 4FT for almost a week before i tried that also when shifting to 2wd my handle would click only could be felt through the transfer case knob tho.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Could it be that the the linkage is not QUITE letting the little shift lever on the T-case click into 2WD mode?
CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
SteveA1992
2003 WJ 

the 242 tc doesnt shift out of 4 wheel right when you take it out. You have to get it up to second gear and then it will shift out. At least thats what happened to mine
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan888 View Post
Could it be that the the linkage is not QUITE letting the little shift lever on the T-case click into 2WD mode?
I thought that too, but after messing with it found that it shifts fine with use of the tc selector, but that the gearing seems to be binding and keeping it from reaching 2 wheel mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA1992 View Post
the 242 tc doesnt shift out of 4 wheel right when you take it out. You have to get it up to second gear and then it will shift out. At least thats what happened to mine
Alright, thanks. That may come in handy when I take it on the next road test. I'm supposed to be able to switch in and out of 4 wheel to 2 wheel at any speed. Until it gets fixed though I guess I'll be hauling around a hyd. jack in case I need to lift a tire. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
One of the Other Jeep sites there was a thing about how the shift fork on the 242 over time would stick

What they said was while driving then put the jeep in GEAR N then shift to 2wd Blip the gas and put it back in drive.

my stayed in 4FT for almost a week before i tried that also when shifting to 2wd my handle would click only could be felt through the transfer case knob tho.
I found this interesting and did a search. I found a writeup done by Mike Strawbridge about it. It says: "One common operating problem with the 242 transfer case is that it will stick in 4wd even if the lever is moved to 2wd. Internally, moving the lever loads a spring which then applies force to move the selector fork. If the gears are loaded with torque, the spring will not have enough energy to move the sleeve off the gears. Once torque is removed from the gears, the spring will then move the fork and slide the sleeve of the gears.

Momentarily lifting your foot off the gas will often unload the gears enough to allow the spring pressure to move the fork. On some high mileage units, a wear groove will form on the sleeve or gear causing it to stick longer and may require a couple of changes from loaded to unloaded to get the sleeve to release form the gear.
"

All great info that has me better equipped to handle this rather than feeling completely lost like I was. Dang....thinking it was locked in Part-Time, I made the 2 mile trip back home by driving down the side of the highway rather than ON it... I was being cautious trying to avoid damage to the TC.

Right now though, my priority has shifted to the radiator leak. I can't do jack til I can keep the engine from overheating. sheeesh!

Fellas - thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by EisBlade; 12-19-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.