Wits end! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wits end!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
colebe
1997 ZJ 

Wits end!

Hello all! I am new to this forum but I am at my wits end with my '97 ZJ.
Here's the shortest version I can give.
Right front caliper froze recently causing steering wheel to turn violently back and forth until I was able to free the piston by driving on the highway rumblestrip.
Caliper boot was melted and pads/rotor were shot. Pads showed signs of wearing unevenly front to rear.
Since this event I have a steady pull to the right which gets really bad when braking. My wife will no longer drive her until fixed!
What's been done...
I have personally replaced all of the front brake components - pads, rotors, calipers, flex hoses. I have cleaned and lubed the slide rails. All 4 wheels have been bled to flush all old fluid. Wheel alignment has been checked good. Tires have been rotated. All front end suspension/steering components look good visually. No obvious signs of damage or unusual wear. Brake pressures have been checked good. Go to full pressure evenly and release evenly. Driving at 30 MPH, go to neutral, still pulls. Driving at 30 MPH, turn off ignition, still pulls.
I consider myself an above average mechanic having done all my own maintenance for 30 years. This one has got me stumped. I apologize for the length of this post. Any knowledge shared will be greatly appreciated.

colebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

tire wear/bearing/alignment/wear on parts like bushings
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

Ball joints
ieattacos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

that too but i thought an above average mech wouldve caught that one
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Divots in caliper slides on knuckle. You can see them in post#3 of this thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1518536/

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
kbranderhorst
1998 ZJ 

something easy and cheap too try would be swapping the front tires left too right and see if that helps i have had that happen too me at work before do all new brakes and still have a pull ended up being a tire issue good luck other than that like said above could be a worn front end part or some type of restriction in the hydraulic system ex: master cylinder abs or proportioning valve good luck
kbranderhorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
kbranderhorst
1998 ZJ 

like said above as well the steering knuckle divots are a very good possibility on a jeep i had too fill mine in with weld 2 weeks ago
kbranderhorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.