Wiring Into Reverse Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wiring Into Reverse Lights

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
mr_user

Wiring Into Reverse Lights

Hey guys,

Got a great deal today on two more 100w driving lights. I figure I'm going to wire one more into circuit on the roof and I plan on mounting the other one underneath the bumper somewhere in the rear.

My objective is to have the 100w light operate on the same circuit as the reverse lights, meaning power will flow to the light only with the truck in reverse. I'd prefer not to route the light through its own circuit and switch, as wiring 11 feet of 12v wire would get messy and look terrible.

So my question stands, how should I locate the correct wire to tap into? Should I simply solder the power wire from the new light to the existing rear light? Will such a modification trigger the notorious "Rear Lamp Failure" light on the VIC? And finally, do you think it is safe to put one more 100w light in that circuit?

Thanks guys!
Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Daerksoul

Look at a schematic.
No.
Yes.
No.

You're welcome!
Unread 11-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Daerksoul

If you have the towing package, a better option might be to tap into the trailer wiring circuit. I'm not sure if there is a lead for a trailer back up light or not though....
Unread 11-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
mr_user

No tow package, I am going to try and tap into the power wire behind the tail light housing. We shall see if it holds up!

Matt

Unread 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I think it would be much safer to run a new power wire and use a relay to trigger it from the rear lights when they are on.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
MtnbikerWJ

the stock bulb is only rated around 27 watts. adding something 4x as big might fry the wiring which would be a pain to have to replace. for about $20-25 you could probably get some 10 guage wire and a relay and wire it up to the battery.
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Green]Colorado Jeep Club Member #14[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=White][CENTER]White Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR]
MtnbikerWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
mr_user

Thanks guys,

I think I am going to mount two up on the top roof rail, and operate them on a completely different circuit than the rear lights. I don't want to tap into the 27w and fry the wiring, but thanks for the guidance!

Matt

Unread 11-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
MtnbikerWJ

Still tap into the reverse lights just use a relay off the reverse lights and the power from the battery it will work the way you want it to that way
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Green]Colorado Jeep Club Member #14[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=White][CENTER]White Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR]
MtnbikerWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.