Wiring in Hellas.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wiring in Hellas....

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Wiring in Hellas....

Well I just installed my ARB bumper last night and I'm looking to get some hella 500s or 700s to run as some driving lights on the bumper. I would like to run these lights on the factory fog light switch.

What I need to know is if the factory wiring could handle 2 100watt lights or should I used the factory wiring as a switch to a relay and run a power line from the battery to the relay and then the lights.

I think with 2-100watt hellas... running a 40amp fuse and relay, then slitting the source line from the relay to the lights. Is this a good plan? I'll run either 10 or 8 gauge. I think 10g should be fine.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

use the factory wiring to relay the hellas...i doubt they'll hold 100 watts.

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would use 8 ga., 10 is good for 15 amps and you are a little above that with 2-100 watt lights
Unread 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Thanks guys.... I'll use the factory wiring to the relay. I figured that was the best way to go. i'll make sure to use 8ga wiring. Should I be running a 20amp fuse with 40 amp relays? instead of a 40 amp fuse? I'm not sure of the math here. If I knew the formulas.... i would figure it out. Maybe i'll google them.

Also I was just thinking, maybe i should run some rectangle hellas... to match the jeep. I know a lot of people use the round ones, but i figure the zj is fairly sqaure. Your thoughts?

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
Also I was just thinking, maybe i should run some rectangle hellas... to match the jeep. I know a lot of people use the round ones, but i figure the zj is fairly sqaure. Your thoughts?

Ick is my opinion. The Hella 500's we ran on the ZJ before it rolled looked great (See avatar) now they are on my WJ awaiting a new cow catcher for her ZJ

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWJWifeZJ View Post
Ick is my opinion. The Hella 500's we ran on the ZJ before it rolled looked great (See avatar) now they are on my WJ awaiting a new cow catcher for her ZJ
alright... thanks

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

(2 x 100W) / 12V = 16.67A

Run a 40A relay and a 20A fuse.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
Thanks guys.... I'll use the factory wiring to the relay. I figured that was the best way to go. i'll make sure to use 8ga wiring. Should I be running a 20amp fuse with 40 amp relays? instead of a 40 amp fuse? I'm not sure of the math here. If I knew the formulas.... i would figure it out. Maybe i'll google them.
Hey man, I would probably use a 20A fuse, the only problem I can think of is if inrush current at initial startup is higher than that you may have nuisance fuse blowing. I am not an electrician but I typically size my fuses for 125% of amp draw (as long as it doesn't exceed wire capabilities) 8 ga wire is good for 24 amps. That being said if the 20A fuses pop due to inrush you can get away with a 25A fuse but don't go any larger than that. If you run 40A relays and 40A fuse and something is wrong with the lights where they start using more current, you have the potential of burning the rig down due to too much current through your conductors. (8 ga) Besides protecting your equipment, you want to protect your wiring too with fuses/breakers.

edit: Bama beat me to it!
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Thanks guys. Still planning things out... maybe i'll try and draw my plans up and post them here later so you can all see them and let me know what you think.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well, at most electronics stores you can by either fast blow or slow blow type fuses. I would recommend a slow blow fuse as it would be a little more forgiving of a transient current like when you turn on the lights. A fast blow fuse will pop the split second it passes 20A. But a 25A fuse would probably work as well.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Well, at most electronics stores you can by either fast blow or slow blow type fuses. I would recommend a slow blow fuse as it would be a little more forgiving of a transient current like when you turn on the lights. A fast blow fuse will pop the split second it passes 20A. But a 25A fuse would probably work as well.
That's a good point to make and a very valid one.
Unread 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
And I call myself an electronics tech.

Very good point and one I should have thought about long ago.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

when i cut the factory wiring to remove the fog lamp, should leave the wiring as an open or close circuit? This is pretaining to the one side of the factory wiring which I will not use for the relay.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Ok... I need help deciding what lights to get.

I really like these Hella Rallye 4000 Xenons, but they are way to expensive

How about these rallye 4000

or these Optilux 1900s

or just go with the every day 500s or 700s?

The more i look, the more indecisive i get with all the choices. I'm looking for 1 or 2 sets for my ARB bumper, which one set will be used during driving.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

As for the unused wire, there should be a plug somewhere back behind the grille. Just unplug the side you won't be using and zip tie it up out of the way of everything.

As for the lights? I can't really tell you. I've got the 700FF's on the front of mine and love the hell out of them. And I'm using the stock wiring (700FF's are 55W).
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.