Wipers... Slow and Stop... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wipers... Slow and Stop...

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Wipers... Slow and Stop...

On my way to Pittsburgh this weekend I noticed my wipers were getting slower and slower as I continued along.

Today (very cold) my wipers went up and then stopped... I tried to gently tug on them to get them back down, but the wouldn't return...

A few minutes later then SLOWLY went back into position on their own...

I'm pretty sure that I'll need a new motor, I was just wondering if there was any "ZJ-Magic" I could perform with a soldering iron. Possible bad connections?

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

If you got the time , you could try disassembling the motor . The only write up I know of is for the rear . Principle will be the same if that helps . Try that and greasing the plastic grommets on the wiper arm assemblies http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...-motor-398760/
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
If you got the time , you could try disassembling the motor . The only write up I know of is for the rear . Principle will be the same if that helps . Try that and greasing the plastic grommets on the wiper arm assemblies http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...-motor-398760/
I thought there may be an easier way out... Thanks Newfie....
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

I don't like leaving things open ended... I was able to fix the motor myself... I took apart as much as I could, cleaned out all old grease and sprayed it inside and out with brake-cleaner... Greased it back up, and it works like a charm.

Before anyone spends money on a new motor... GIVE THIS A TRY! NOT HARD AT ALL!
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
I don't like leaving things open ended... I was able to fix the motor myself... I took apart as much as I could, cleaned out all old grease and sprayed it inside and out with brake-cleaner... Greased it back up, and it works like a charm.

Before anyone spends money on a new motor... GIVE THIS A TRY! NOT HARD AT ALL!
It could also possibly be the turn signal lever needs replaced, my wipers on my Trans am were doing the same thing, the wiper motor for it is expensive so i replaced the turn signal lever for $30 and that turned out to be the problem fortunately ! Ive never done one on the ZJ but its looks perhaps a bit more work to install, dunno,The TA one just pulls right out and pop the new one in.

ZJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turn-Sig...cd2a64&vxp=mtr
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.