Wiper motor bad in 1996 grand cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wiper motor bad in 1996 grand cherokee?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
polens

Wiper motor bad in 1996 grand cherokee?

We bought this car last year for my son, to drive to the local college.. it was beat up and has a lot f odd things wrong with it but gets him to school. (His first car)

The wipers have worked till two days ago.. when he mentioned it, we tried them again, and they worked for a few mins then stopped.
Fuse seems fine, (did continuity test on it) we seem to have power all the way to the wiper motor.
We were going to buy a new motor but the last test we did has us wondering if the motor is not bad.

If you have the motor hooked up, and ground it, with either a wire to the chassis or having the motor lay on the metal chassis it works. But it only works one speed, and hi, lo or off does not work using the switch by the steering wheel.

Not sure what else to check. Ideas?

polens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'd replace the stalk first, it's not too hard to replace and it will show you if the problem is further down the line.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I have a stalk out of a 93 but i live in canada.
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
polens

Thanks

I'll check around for the part and go from there!
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
polens

Tests done

In trying to narrow things down we tried this test on the wiring plug
where it attaches to the motor.. I am not sure the link will post okay..

he tells you to set the meter to dc v 20 .....ours has 10 ,50 ,250... so i set it to 10 and increased the voltage buy turning the red wheel on the side of the tester so as to set it to about 20 volts.

Our tests seem to suggest the wiring is okay but this guy in the video may or may not know what they are doing.. same with us lol
thoughts?
It still might be the thing to do as far as replace the switch..
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Higgins
1998 ZJ 

Rear W W Doesn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by polens View Post
In trying to narrow things down we tried this test on the wiring plug
where it attaches to the motor.. I am not sure the link will post okay..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KHUxiXn31s

he tells you to set the meter to dc v 20 .....ours has 10 ,50 ,250... so i set it to 10 and increased the voltage buy turning the red wheel on the side of the tester so as to set it to about 20 volts.

Our tests seem to suggest the wiring is okay but this guy in the video may or may not know what they are doing.. same with us lol
thoughts?
It still might be the thing to do as far as replace the switch..
Does your rear hatch open? In the event id does, there is an interlock switch that disables the WW Motor should it be open. You may want to open and close the window and see if that solves the problem!
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Does your rear hatch open? In the event id does, there is an interlock switch that disables the WW Motor should it be open. You may want to open and close the window and see if that solves the problem!
I think hes referring to the front wipers? Not sure but I dont think he mentioned the front or rear.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.