Winter's here, Jeep has no heat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Winter's here, Jeep has no heat

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

Winter's here, Jeep has no heat

So I just got my 95' 4.0 running about two weeks ago, when it was 50 degrees for Christmas, now that we are getting negative temps I have been testing out the heat. If I leave the temp setting on max heat, and have the fan on full blast, and thirdly turn the output setting from OFF to whatever position, the Jeep blows hot air, for about 3 seconds, then it cools to about lookwarm. Turn the output to off for 15 seconds and back and bam warm air for a few seconds.

I have a 180 thermostat, and engine temp registers to one click left of the middle on the gauge (don't have infrared thermometer), which runs cooler because of my Flex-fan. Also wondering if it could be the blend doors? Thinking about getting a kit http://www.heatertreater.net/Grand%2...ee%2093-98.htm

chakkuchan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Cleveland
1998 ZJ 

You're going to need to throw in a 195* thermostat if you want good heat. The 180 is too cold for the 4.0, that is your problem, plain and simple.
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
dan66cj5
1966 CJ5 

To me, it sounds like your heater core is plugged up. I would do a flush on the heater core only... you know how theres 2 hoses going to the heater core ? Well unhook both of them at the engine or somewhere like that, and hook the garden hose to one end and let the other one flow out.

Another possibly is that this valve on your heater hoses is not working properly.. it shuts off circulation of hot water to the heater core when you turn the AC on. I forgot what its called... but I've always chucked this part, its prone to a leak anyway.

Another possibly is that your coolant system is not properly filled up all the way. Not enough water circulation though the heater core.

I dont know why you have a 180 stat and flex fan.. but optimum engine operating temp for the 4.0 is 210 degrees. Best MPG there and less engine wear and tear.
dan66cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan66cj5;27630985)
I dont know why you have a 180 stat and flex fan.. but optimum engine operating temp for the 4.0 is 210 degrees. Best MPG there and less engine wear and tear.
Because he has been listening to the Jeep "engineers" on here that know better than the ones that originally built the thing.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Same type discussion going on below and look at the link within the link for checking the blend door and motor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...l#post27620345

Agree, you're going to have better heat in the cold weather months in living in Indiana w/a 195* T-stat but sounds like a blend door issue too.

BTW, there aren't any valves in the heater hoses on a ZJ.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Agreed, 180 stats work for the V8 if you're not stock and don't live in the cold. The 4.0 needs to run hot.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the input, picked up a 195 thermostat today and will install later this week and get back after a few cold test drive/warmups
chakkuchan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
bahamit_147
1994 ZJ 

I'm not sure how accessible the heater core hoses are on these jeeps but I'd definitely recommend flushing it. You would be amazed at what you can have build up in there. The first winter I had my audi I had to do that and I swear there was more algae looking gunk that I had in my aquariums...

I'd also recommend a cooling system flush or two with straight water if you've got a heated garage to park it in and let cool. (I always do two fresh water flushes on my system before fully draining and adding my cooling mix (5%extra coolant cause there will still be plain water trapped)) that way everything is cleaned out and properly mixed. Plus... Only use distilled water in your cooling system to prevent that happening again.
bahamit_147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.