Windshield Wipers Moving Very slow .... is motor bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Windshield Wipers Moving Very slow .... is motor bad?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
mmstone

Windshield Wipers Moving Very slow .... is motor bad?

Good Morning All!

My wife called me today and said that the windshield wipers on her 97 ZJ are moving very slow. I noticed that they were a few days ago as well.

The intermittent feature works, but when your turn the switch to what should be the fast setting they do not move as fast as they once did.

I think it sounds like the motor is on the way out, but I didn't want to swap it out until I got some other opinions.

Thanks guys!

mm

Unread 02-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
CTORT

that or maybe a bad ground.

'99 WJ 2"BB, other goodies, every best/possible OEM option except block heater.
'89 XJ 7.5"lift, lock f/r, 35's, Ford 8.8", other goodies.
'75 CJ-5 5"lift, locked, 33's, Built 360, T-18a, Dana 44, other goodies.

CHECK OUT my gallery [B][URL=http://www.ultimatejeep.com/coppermine/thumbnails/meta=topn/cat=15370.html]HERE[/URL][/B].
CTORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
2tone93zj
1993 ZJ 

not sure what the weather is like wehre u are...but up here its -41 and my windshield wipers will move slow.....but when its warmer they work fine.

Wanted: 93-95 Keyless entry fob

BUILT NOT BOUGHT #204
2tone93zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
starbunas

Check your voltage meter when it happens. If it drops it could be a loose belt or alternator going bad too.
starbunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
ajmorell

Yeah, mine move a little bit slower when it's cold out so that may be it. I also noticed that mine had iced up a little bit near the bottom of the arm, so I cleaned that out a little bit and that helped as well.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Funny offtopic story: back when wipers were run off off vacuum depending on whether you had it floored or not determined the speed. At idle they would just crawl (barely move) but if you punched the gas they would zoom off as fast as possible
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
mmstone

Replaced motor and nada ...

I just finished replacing my winshield wiper motor to no avail. The still have no fast setting. I looked at the voltage and it drops a little bit, but nothing to dramatic.

I'm thinking either a bad switch or the linkage needs cleaned up and greased.

Has anybody performed either of these two procedures?

Any other thoughts?

THanks!

Jeff
Unread 02-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstone
I just finished replacing my winshield wiper motor to no avail. The still have no fast setting. I looked at the voltage and it drops a little bit, but nothing to dramatic.

I'm thinking either a bad switch or the linkage needs cleaned up and greased.

Has anybody performed either of these two procedures?

Any other thoughts?

THanks!

Jeff

When it gets really cold, mine slows down a lot as well. I used lithium grease on the motor on the output rod and it sped up quite a bit, but still not to full speed. I did the same to the rear motor because it would get stuck in the middle of it's stroke. The grease has kept it from sticking.

I would clean your linkage and try lithium grease on the motor rod. If that doesn't help, time to start double checking or replacing electronics.
Unread 02-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
ForwardControl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Funny offtopic story: back when wipers were run off off vacuum depending on whether you had it floored or not determined the speed. At idle they would just crawl (barely move) but if you punched the gas they would zoom off as fast as possible
Wow, really? Vacuum wiper actuators??? I had no idea...
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. [I]Added:[/I] Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). [I]Next:[/I] IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

[B][COLOR="White"][URL="http://www.manvsbigmachine.com/users/mattlowery/misc/wjbaseaudioupgrade.pdf"]WJ Base Audio Upgrade[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Green"][CENTER]I [I]HAVE [/I]A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Colorado Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B]
ForwardControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
niko
1996 ZJ 

Mine slow down when it's cold too.

I just got new wipers and it helped speed them up quite a bit.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #11
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardControl
Wow, really? Vacuum wiper actuators??? I had no idea...
My GTO even has electric wipers.... and it's a 67.... You gotta be talkin 40s-50s or earlier.

But yeah, to stay on topic, very cold weather will slow everything down. It was 12 degrees here ther other night and my wipers were crawling across my windshield

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.